Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Bowin (Bowen)

Hi All

I am trying to find the above lady on the 61 and 71 census and wondered if anyone can help.

She was born Elizabeth Nicholson in Durham (Felton?) and married Henry Bowin (born 1815 in Hull and was a mariner) in 1840. I have Henry and Elizabeth on both th 41 and 51 census in Sunderland but cannot find either after.

I know Elizabeth should be on both the 61 and 71 census as she didnt die until 1874 (I have her burial details which states she was a widow by this year). I have not yet found a death record or burial for Henry.

They had children Elizabeth born 1841, Mary Ann born 1848 and Robert born 1851. Mary Ann is a servant on the 1861 census but have not found Elizabeth or Robert.

If anyone can help its much appreciated.
    Many Thanks

Not having much luck with Elizabeth.

Can see Robert in 1871, lodger with sister Mary and husband Joseph Pope - RG10; Piece: 5018; Folio: 36; Page: 32;
    - just cannot see where he is hiding in 1861!
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Many thanks for having a look. Its so frustrating because I know Elizabeth is alive somewhere in 61 and 71.

Mary Ann Bowin and Joseph Pope are my great x 3 grandparents and I have been concentrating on the Pope family for a while but cannot get anywhere with Mary Ann's family apart from her parents marriage.

Kind Regards

Comment

Do you know where Elizabeth died?
        Elaine

Comment

In 1861 there is a female E.B. born c1817 Sunderland Durham - widowed - listed as Inmate of the Sunderland Workhouse - but cannot see a possible for Robert there.
          RG9; Piece: 3770; Folio: 100; Page: 5
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Elizabeth died in 1874 in Sunderland. She is buried at Knoll Mere Cemetery in Fulwell, Sunderland. There is no record though in this cemetery for Henry so I am guessing he died elsewhere.

The 61 workhouse sounds a good possibility. In 61, Mary Ann is a servant but no trace of Elizabeth junior and Robert.

Regards

Comment

Don't know how I missed this one before!
              1871 census
              Elizabeth Bowen born c1816 - inmate Sunderland Union Workhouse
              RG10; Piece: 5003; Folio: 76; Page: 25
              Elaine

Comment

Oh thats great, thank you so much for this. That would suggest the EB on the 61 census is the same lady.

I wonder where Henry went and died and where Elizabeth and Robert were for 20 years.

Thanks again for this.

Comment

Elizabeth

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 5003; Folio: 76; Page: 25; GSU roll: 847379...................Under Elizabeth Bowen 1871 Census. Appears as an inmate to an Institution. Just a chance if you havent been able to find her?

Comment

Sorry, Elaine's got quicker fingers than me.

Comment

Thank you Alan also for looking

Comment

Working...
                      X