James McArdle, Co. Cork Ireland ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James McArdle, Co. Cork Ireland ?

I am searching for my family before coming to North America.
    James was a stone mason, the family first came to Canada abt.1883 to survey Queenston Quarry and lived in St. Davids, Ontario, Canada.
    Before shipping out to Canada they lived with cousins in Dublin close to a Catholic Cathedral waiting for the birth of a daughter Catherine b24-07-1883.
    Shortly after comming to Canada they moved to Niagara Falls, NY. USA.

If anyone knows of, or comes across the family I would certainly appreciate a message.

James McArdle born 18-02-1848 Ireland or Scotland, died 1896 Niagara Falls, NY. USA
    Married
    Catherine Conway born 1851 Ireland, died 1907 Niagara Falls, NY. USA

They had a family of seven Children
    1. Brigid born and died in Ireland no dates
    2. Mary born 1878, Ireland.
    3. Rose Ann born 1881, Ireland.
    4. Catherine born 1883, Ireland.
    5. Ellen born 1885, St Davids, On. Canada
    6. James born 1887, Ontario, Canada
    7. Loretta born 1890, Ontario, Canada
    Last edited by mjmcara; 16-12-08, 11:51.

On the 1891 Canadian census (Ontario) James gives his birthplace as Ireland and says both his parents were born there too. It also says that James jr and Loretta were born in Ontario, though, so I suppose it might not be very accurate.

Although - if they were born in NY, then it would mean the family moved from Ontario to NY and those children were born there, then they moved back to Ontario?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Actually, looking at the 1900 US census, the two youngest children James and Loretta say born Canada as well. Oh, and ancestry has James Patrick McArdle's birth registration from Ontario. Not found Loretta's yet, though.
      Last edited by KiteRunner; 16-12-08, 11:36.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you KiteRunner!

Comment

Update

I now have some information on Bridget and her sister Mary. It would seem they are from Co. Galway and not Cork.

Death Record

Name:Bridget McArdle
          Address: Dunlo
          Date of Death: 7th April, 1881
          Parish/District: ballinasloe
          Denomination: Civiil Parish/District
          Informant: McArdle Kate
          Address: Dunlo

Mary Elisabeth McArdle
          Event(s):
          Birth: 03 FEB 1878 Dunlo, Galway, Ireland
          Parents:
          Father: James McArdle
          Mother: Kate Conway McArdle

Comment

There is a civil birth reg. entry for a Bridget McArdle 1875, father James, Ballinasloe, county Galway, on the IFHF site. I can't see a marriage for James and Catherine in County Galway on there though.
            KiteRunner

Comment

update

Thank you for all your time and effort. I have added some bits of information.
              If anyone knows of, or comes across the family I would certainly appreciate a message.

James McArdle born 18-02-1848 Ireland, died 1896 Niagara Falls, NY. USA
              Married
              Catherine Conway born 1851 Ireland, died 1907 Niagara Falls, NY. USA

They had a family of seven Children
              1. Bridget b1875, Dunlo, Ballinasloe, Galway, Ireland. d 07-04-1881 Dunlo, Ballinasloe, Galway, Ireland
              2. Mary Elisabeth born 03 Feb 1878 Dunlo, Ballinasloe, Galway, Ireland
              3. Rose Ann born 1881, Dunlo, Ballinasloe, Galway, Ireland
              4. Catherine born 1883, Ireland.
              5. Ellen born 1885, St David’s, On. Canada
              6. James born 1887, Ontario, Canada
              7. Loretta born 1890, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Marriage

Many thanks for your help! I have just found what I belive to be James McArdle And Catherine Conway Church Marriage. Any other help would be greatly appreciated as it gives few details

Church Marriage Record

Date of Marriage: 24/11/1874

Parish / District: KILBRIDE County: Co. Cavan

Husband Wife
                Name: James McArdle Catherine Conway

Address:

Denomination: Roman Catholic Roman Catholic

Witness 1 Witness 2
                Name: Patt Conway, Margaret Dowd

Comment

As this marriage took place in 1874, after the Irish Civil registration of 1864, you should be able to obtain this marriage certificate through the Roscommon site. The cert will then give you fathers' names, which should take your research back another generation at least, as well as giving you a possible address and townland where they lived. Now that you have the exact details it will be easier for them to find without a prolonged search.

The General Register Office Ireland :: An tSeirbhís um Chlárú Sibhialta

Janet

Comment

Marriage Certificate

Hello, I just now received the marriage certificate for James McArdle and Catherine Conway. I’m not sure how to proceed any help would be appreciated.

The date was twenty fourth of November 1874. Catholic Chapel of Mount Nugent Registrars District BallyJamesduff in the Superintendants District of Oldcastle in the County of Cavan.

James age 26, profession stone cutter, residence time of marriage Ross. Fathers name Thos. McArdle profession Stonecutter.

Catherine age 24, profession no calling, residence time of marriage Ross. Fathers name Patrick Conway profession Stonecutter.

In the presence of us Patt Conway and Margaret Dowd.

Comment

Many thanks for all your help. Would you be able to look (birth Christening) for the daughter of James McArdle and Catherine Conway? Her name is Catherine Gertrude McArdle born 24 July 1883 Dublin Ireland. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

You could look on the Irish GRO indexes at FamilySearch Record Search
                        Unfortunately they don't have the images of the index available now so it is possible it is on the index but not transcribed, or mistranscribed; I had a look but I couldn't see her listed.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

a possible match from another poster, I have sent for the certificate:

Name: Catherine McArdle
                          Registration district: Dublin South
                          Record type: BIRTHS
                          Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1883
                          Volume: 2
                          Page: 707

some of the Mc names are indexed a little off ...

the name appears as M'Ardle - which does not search properly

Shane

Comment

Working...
                          X