When did he get the M.B.E.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did he get the M.B.E.?

I think this is my relative's husband Frederick William Yeates Langley - he didn't always use the Yeates part of his name - but I would like to find some info on when he received the MBE to see if it gives his full name.

London Gazette 8th Dec 1922
    War Office - REGULAR FORCES - INFANTRY
    Foresters - Qrmr & Capt. F.W. Langley from DCLI to be Qrmr, with the rank of Capt. 9th Dec 1922

London Gazette 19th Oct 1926
    War Office - REGULAR FORCES - INFANTRY
    Foresters - Qrmr & Capt. F.W. Langley, M.B.E., retires on ret. pay, on attaining the age limit for retirement. 19th Oct 1926

I haven't managed to find any info on when and why he got the MBE - can anybody help me find out, please? Also, does anybody know whether 55 would be the "age limit for retirement" in this case, because my F W Langley would be 55 around then?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I'm just trying to find out how and when somebody got the KBE - I'll let you know if I find anything

Comment

I found mine in the Gazette with no trouble, but I can't see yours - there are various Langleys getting awards, but not an FW, and no MBE as far as I can see.

Comment

I've had a look through The Times too, and not found anything. Thanks for trying.
        KiteRunner

Comment

You could try searching the Gazette for his service number if you know it.

Comment

I think I came across the number 2828 somewhere but it doesn't find anything on there. Oh well, I'll see if I can think of any more ideas later!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Aren't there still some awards to personnel in each of the 3 armed services in each honours list?
              From what I recall, I don't think there is necessarily an additional citation given, as there is for civilians?
              (e.g. service to the local community, school dinner lady etc)
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If the Army is like the Civil Severvice then certain ranks almost automatically got an honour on retirement, often simply for long and dedicated service. I was in the Civil Service and it was my job at times to identify possible candidates.
                Margaret

Comment

Yes, I thought it might be something like that. But shouldn't there still be a list showing when he got it?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Have you tried Buckingham Palace?

On one of those documentaries about the Royal Family, there was a bit about the honours investitures. It showed an award room (in Buckingham Palace I think), where different awards were kept, and the man who was responsible for the ceremonies.
                    I think he said they had a list of who had been awarded what and when.

Not sure what his household title would be though.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes, I think Buckingham Palace should have a list, or maybe 10 Downing Street. They have a website Number10.gov.uk so perhaps an email to them?
                      Margaret

Comment

Would the MBE qualify someone to be in "Who's who"? If so, then he would probably be in the next volume of "Who was who" issued after his death, which a lot of public reference libraries have in stock. Not sure that it would give the date though.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully one of them will do the trick!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                          X