Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did he sign up or was he called up?

Hello everyone.

I have a card from GWR notifying my grandfather on 4.4.14 that his "services are required in connection with the working of the Railway" and that he is not therefore required to join the army at present.

However, his discharge papers show that he enlisted in Swindon 1.9.14, just 5 months later.

Any war historians out there who might know, would he have been called up so soon after receiving the card, or must it be the case that he volunteered?

Conscription was started after the passing of Military Service Act of 1916, applicable to single men aged 18-41, exemptions for those in essential war time employment, those deemed medically unfit, religious ministers, and conscientious objectors were given.

As he volunteered it was either due to the patriotism or recruitment drive conducted, Great Britain declared war on Germany in August 1914 so he joined up very early in the hostilities.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-12-08, 16:21.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

WW1 Service Records

Hi Karen...............records are available on line at Ancestry...........if you give me his name(s) I'll try a search for you.

Comment

Thanks Glen, that's a great help.

Thanks for you offer of help, Alan. I already know quite a bit from the paperwork my dad has handed over to me.

His name was William Thomas Sainsbury and he was discharged 26.11.17 as "no longer physically fit for war service" with "bullet wound right arm, gunshot wounds right cheek & right thigh."

It's quite shocking to read such graphic details of his injuries.

Comment

Service Records

Hi Karen,
          Coulnt find him whilst searching Ancestry Records but think you have relevant information.
          If his profession was 'exempt from war duty' it's unlikely that he received call up papers and that he enlisted in the spirit of fighting for his country rather than be left at home whilst his friends were doing their bit.

Comment

Thanks Alan.

I'm a bit confused as to why he received a card telling him he didn't need to join the army if the war hadn't even started yet & conscription was still 2 years in the future!

Any bright ideas?

Comment

WW1 was 1914-1918 and it didnt happen overnight. At some point the Government of the day realised that war was inevitable and began making forward plans to strengthen their Armed Forces. Hence a big campaign to recruit volunteers. As Glen suggests, in 1916 Conscription for fit men not in reserved occupations was compulsary. I hope this clarifies the subject for you.
              Best Wishes

Comment

The card would have been from his employers, an attempt to discourage him from joining up and partly due to the misconception that the war would be over by xmas 1914.

A recruitment drive ran before war was declared and increasingly promoted as the war progressed, as the casualty figures increased more men were needed but recruitment figures were not high enough hence the introduction of conscription by the 1916 act.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks again for your help, boys.

It's very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X