Cloth Looker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth Looker?

Does anybody know what a Cloth Looker would have done? (Occupation from 1950, lived in Accrington, Lancashire).
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Found a reference to it (mid 1800s) by googling - "He was next promoted to the position of cloth looker, his duties being to inspect the material as brought in by the weavers."

Also from an occupations website: An inspector of finished woven cloth.

I don't know how much the job would have changed over the century!
    Elaine

Comment

Isn't it something in quality control?

The weavers make the cloth and the looker inspects it to see it is of sufficient quality.

Comment

Thanks. Sounds quite impressive, doesn't it? Well, compared to the occupations of previous generations of that side of OH's family, anyway!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Some people became lookers when their lungs had become choked with dust and they'd gone deaf from the machinery!
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh, well, since he was 67 and he was appointed sole executor of his brother's will in preference to either of the adult sons, I doubt if that was what had happened in his case, but thanks for the info.
            KiteRunner

Comment

I think the modern term is overlooker.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                I think the modern term is overlooker.
                I'm not sure but I think they are two different jobs. I think an overlooker is more of a shop-floor supervisor, whereas a cloth looker would be working in a quieter location on their own.

Comment

The Dynamics of a Changing ... - Google Book Search

Comment

Mule Overlooker

A little story concerning occupations, one of my ancestors was a mule overlooker, me being me, thought he took care of mules ,as in the animal, .........until I was reading about cotton mills, and came across a photo of a machine called a MULE.....boy did I feel stupid :o
                    Researching.......CHADDERTON , GILLETT, WHALLEY, RILEY, SUDWORTH ,COTTAM, DAWSON,HACKER....ALL FROM LANCASHIRE

Comment

Being brought up in Yorkshire, we got quite a lot in our history and geography lessons about the woollen and cotton industries. So this sort of terminology came into my life quite early.

Comment

Being raised in Montreal, its not something I was familar with, but ever since I was a child, I have had an incredible fasination with spinning wheels, i just love and would love to owe one.............now i know why........ever single one of my ancestors worked in the cotton industries! Guess its in my blood.
                        Researching.......CHADDERTON , GILLETT, WHALLEY, RILEY, SUDWORTH ,COTTAM, DAWSON,HACKER....ALL FROM LANCASHIRE

Comment

Working...
                        X