Advice on searching Seaman Service records on National Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on searching Seaman Service records on National Archives

I have just the received a death cert. for a relly that died on board HMS Orontes in 1878. Age 48.(b.1829/30 in Gosport)

Have been trying to find a service record on National Archives but am not to sure how to use this site. I have found a George Taylor b. Gosport but the date says 1860. Would this be the date he volunteered or is this a date of birth? Don't want to waste £3.50 on the wrong one but this is the only one I can find!

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Lesley

Glad you got the certificate, Lesley. I'm surprised it was a Navy death, not a merchant marine one, though I can't now remember which register index I found him in.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John. Yes, the cert.says Quarter Master, Royal Navy. Cause of death Heart Apoplexy. So I assume that was a Heart Attack. No medals for that! It's thanks to you that I have got this certificate but would like to find out more about his Navy service

Lesley

Comment

Oddly enough the one I found was also apoplexy. He was a ship's master on the River Elbe and apparently had a collision and died in the excitement on the eve of his 46th. birthday.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh How sad!

Lesley

Comment

There is one on there born 7th April 1831 Gosport, I think he's your man ;) the date is the date of birth

Comment

Peppie. Have just checked my George's baptism record and it states his birth as 6th March 1829. So that George is not my one. That's the trouble with having such a common name!!! There are so many of them!
              Thanks for looking anyway.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
              X