Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficulty with GEDCOM

Hi all
    I am trying to import a GEDCOM file from Ancestry.
    Have managed the first bit. Got the file saved to Desktop seems ok

When try to enter it into my tree goes wrong.
    Get message GEDERR.TXT
    when open this file gives a list of dates that seem wrong
    abt 1902 etc doesnt seem to like this.

I am trying to use a program we bought couple of year ago but never
    used up until now. Family Tree Version 4.

May be this is not compatable? Should I buy a different programme

Or any advice welcomed.

Regards

Glenda
    Last edited by glendahewitt; 14-12-08, 12:31.

Hi Glenda,
    Family Tree Maker version 4 is certainly an old program and although you should be able to import a GEDCOM file into it I would suggest that you find a different program where support is available.

Both Legacy and PAF can be downloaded from the internet free - click on one of the links at the top of this message board and you will be taken to the relevant pages in our wiki, where you will find another link where the programs can be downloaded.

Alternatively you could purchase a more up to date version of Family Tree Maker - FTM 2006 is available now for less than £12 (Amazon or TWR Computing) or you could purchase the latest version of FTM, which is version 2009. I would suggest you do not buy the FTM 2008 version.

I don't know very much about Family Historian but quite a few of our members use it.

Why not try one of the freebies to start with and see how you get on. If you decide to purchase one of the other programs at a later date then your information can easily be transferred from one program to another.
    Elaine

Comment

difficulty with GEDCOM

Thanks again Elaine

I have mucked about and got it on to the machine now.
      I have to say I dont really like Family Tree Version 4.
      But it was bought as a gift. We had used it and then fell
      by the wayside.
      I put it on again to see how to do GEDCOM.

In the light of your reply I will perhaps try a freebie but most
      certainly will buy a more up to date version perhaps more
      user friendly one.

Its good to know you people are out there.

Thanks again
      Glenda

Comment

I suggest you try PAF since the LDS (who produce it) were the originators of the gedcom standard.
        You may still get the errors when importing a gedcom file but the report of errors produced is simply a list of 'non standard' gedcom information and if you wish you may enter this manually as a note.
        The 'standard' stuff will import happily.

Comment

elaine im having problem uploading my tree on here again.i did it but i dont think its right as i have new ones that are not showing,and death dates not showing eithr.brenda xxx

Comment

Hi Bren, sorry have been away.

Am I right in saying that your up to date tree is on Ancestry. If it is then you will need to download a GEDCOM file from Ancestry and then import it into whichever family tree program you use (Family Tree Maker/Legacy/Family Historian etc).
            You then export a new GEDCOM file from your family tree program and upload it into the FTF database.

I'll be around later today if you need some more help.
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X