Warwickshire family query (bapt 1792)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warwickshire family query (bapt 1792)

The Goulson surname features quite heavily in my tree, so far connected to the Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Lancashire and Middlesex but today i found a baptism entry in Warwickshire and can't include or exclude it as connected to me.

The IGI has an extracted entry for the baptism,

Charles Goulson, 18 JUN 1792 Saint Michael, Coventry, Warwick, England, parents are Benjamin and Ann.

Most of the male Goulson family use just three or four forenames, Benjamin being one of the most frequent (i have eight chaps by this name already so it is difficult to discount a connection)

There is a extracted marriage entry for Jan 1792, (Benjamin to Amy) and an extracted baptism entry in February 1792 for a son (Benjamin), both in Ropsley which is Lincolnshire so i don't think it's a mistranscription of the place.

Can anyone find anything relating to Charles or his parents at all please?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Hardly any Goulson hits for Warwickshire on Ancestry so very likely this is connected - but it is a submission.

I can't see a Charles Goulson born in Warwickshire on Ancestry though to check his birthplace.

I suspect you will need to look at the original baptism entry. It's possible the name is Coulson or another variant and not your lot at all. It might give Benjamin's occupation too, which might help you decide if he is connected or not.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you search FamilySearch using the batch number and just put in parents' first names, Benjamin and Ann, there are several Colesons, Coulsons, Colsons around that time but not one in 1792, so I would think Charles was one of that family.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I must admit that although the Goulson family are found in three main areas you could alomost throw a blanket over each area and cover them all, this would be a complete new area for them and i'm not sure what to make of it.

Charles is a name that doesn't appear (from what i can tell) until the 1890's but Benjamin appears right back from the 1600's through till at least the early 1900's.

I did find a Charles on the census yesterday, listed as Goulson/Gouldstone with birth years from 1815-1821 depending on the census year and varied places in Cheshire given as birthplace.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Not sure if this is any help:

Attested Copy (25 Oct 1780) of Covenant to Levy Final Concord. PA 1484/34/1 1 Dec 1778

These documents are held at Coventry Archives

Contents:
          (i) Thomas Clarke of Arley and wife Sarah (née Kimberley).
          (ii) Thomas Barber of Coleshill, Warws..
          Consideration: 10/-.
          Transaction: (i) will levy fine next Hilary Term for "Goulsons", Fillongley, lands lately occupied by Joseph Tedd, and a Corley Moor messuage.
          Fillongley is not far from Coventry, but "Goulsons" seems to be the name of the land.

I have the Fillongley PRs on loan at my LDS centre at the moment if you need them.

Comment

Here's the only other hit for Goulson + Coventry on TNA, but it's much more recent:

Bequest to the Coventry Corporation: J Goulson
            Covering dates 1905

Comment

I've had a quick look at the main online Coventry and Warwickshire databases, but I can't see anything:

County Record Office - Online catalogues - Warwickshire Web

Comment

Thankyou Mary, i bet the 1905 ref is for a Joseph or possibly Joshua Goulson

I stepped back for a moment to have another look at the big picture re my Goulson tree.

On reflection i think i am now at the point where any Goulson reference found should be noted and filed for future reference.

Part of the problem is that although the tree goes back several generations the earliest generation is for couple and thier (as yet) only child. I think it os fair to say that there is a naming pattern within the family, basically four main male forenames dominate but when looking at my tree three of them appear from nowhere.

Thinking outloud for am moment i suppose i really need to expand sideways from Benjamin/Mary Page (my 6x grt g/p) and Joseph/Esther Everitt marriages, i seriously doubt that Benjamin and Joseph were only children. Also from what i currently have it seems that there could well be other children born to Joseph/Esther judging by the dates of baptism, there are large gaps between the dates i have found.

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 14-12-08, 15:18.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There's another good Warwickshire site:

HUNIMEX

I've just checked, and it has 46 Coulsons but no Goulsons.

Comment

There are no Goulsons in the Warwickshire Parish and Probate Records on Ancestry, but there are 4 very old ones (c17) in the Lincs records:

Lincolnshire, England: Parish and Probate Records - Ancestry.co.uk

Well, there are four records, but it seems to be two records duplicated.

Comment

I bet they make interesting but confusing reading :D

I have a couple of wills, one late 1700's and one early 1800's, looking at one of them there are three cousins called Joseph who have money bequethed to them, different amounts for each chap, i wonder just how they worked out which one was due what amount???? I certainly can't:D:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Not sure whether you saw my post number 3, Glen?
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                          Not sure whether you saw my post number 3, Glen?

Yes i did Kite, looking at some other variants it seems that there are several Gulson entries in and Coventry at about the same time too, another popular one is Goulston, it seems to appear in all the areas at different times.

I don't know if the IGI rotate the online stuff but i have quite a few submitted entries copied from the site before and they don't come up in results today.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen,

In case you're still interested, I'm currently researching one of my families in Coventry, and I keep coming across Gulsons in the Quaker records on Ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                            X