X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage help need

Hi all.
    i am researching the name Bassick.
    i have found a birth of Ethel Reynolds 1914 sept qtr mothers maiden name bassick. i can't link this to anyone in my tree.
    could anyone help in finding a marriage for bassick and reynolds prior to this birth. the area is houghton -le-spring county durham.
    thanks for any help.
    edith
    Last edited by wheat31; 13-12-08, 21:01.

Hi Edith,
    Welcome to FTF!

Sorry, but I can't find one in 1910-1915...maybe they weren't married.
    I think that you will have to buy that birth certificate to get the parents' names.

Comment

thanks for trying lyn

Comment

This is the best I could find, but completely the wrong area!

Marriages Sep 1902
        Bissicks Rosina Bristol 6a 371
        Chaffin Albert William Bristol 6a 371
        Lewis Amelia Lilian Bristol 6a 371
        Reynolds Richard Matthew Bristol 6a 371

Comment

You are welcome, Edith.
          My grandparents appear never to have married...drove me crazy for years. I never knew my Gran, seeing as she lived on the other side of the world. Only solved the puzzle when I bought the cert for her second marriage and found that inspite of 3 children, see married her 2nd husband as a spinster, using her maiden name!

Comment

thanks to you both for your help.edith

Comment

Maybe the marriage to Mr Reynolds was the bride's second (or more!), so you won't find a Bassick/Reynolds marriage.

Comment

true, never thought of that. if she had married a bassick then widowed would her maiden name be bassick or here original name?
                the only thing there is that i have all the bassick births, marriages and deaths for the area(or so i thought) will have to trawl through my records and see if i can match this up.
                thanks all. edith

Comment

If the index is correct then Bassick would be her birth name......she then married a Mr X and he died or they divorced or whatever.....then she married Mr Reynolds, using her previous married name at the wedding.

Comment

They could have got married abroad?
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Bassick strikes me as a name ripe for mistranscription/hearing, as it isn't all that common.

OC

Comment

Are you doing a one name study for Bassick?

Have you recorded every birth/marriage/death you can find in the records (plus possible mistranscriptions)?

Once you have a complete list you can work out females who should be old/young enough to be having children. I would take it back to any births 50 years before to be on the safe side, so any female born after 1864.

Once you have your list of names you need to follow them forward and eliminate any you can due to death and then for the list of those left find the marriages.

Then you can start to search for remarriages to a Reynolds.

It' a long drawn out process but really worth doing if you want to research the name properly.
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

1913 Richardson Ethel/ Robert Reynolds Houghton 10a 1008

hanging onto that for a moment

cant find a Bassick/Richarson linking one though.

got a Harriet Bassick & a john pringle
                          Marriages Sep 1905

Bassick Harriet Houghton 10a 872
                          NEWINGTON Harry Houghton 10a 872
                          PLACE Mary Richardson Houghton 10a 872
                          PRINGLE John Robson Houghton 10a 872

Two years before (nee Bassick) birth, there is a Pringle (nee Bassick) birth

might be unconnected, need a pringle/Reynolds marriage

thinking out loud, sorry
                          Last edited by Jessbowbag; 14-12-08, 07:58.
                          Jess

Comment

hi. all. i'm not doing one name study.
                            i have all the bassicks in the durham and newcastle area from when they moved here in 1857 from lancashire.
                            i have the bassick/pringle marriage and there children.
                            i just can't work out where this reynolds/bassick fits in.
                            i have been in touch with another person doing the same family and she has no idea either.
                            thank you all for your help.

Comment

Have you used the Local sites? There are a few records which never made the jump from Local to GRO.

e.g.
                              http://www.durham.gov.uk/gro/newgro.nsf/search?open&C0520424141214122008$

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

are you sure this bassick even connects to your family at aLL?

Comment

As Reynolds is not an uncommon name, I would be tempted to get the certificate.

As a matter of interest, what happens to Barbara Bassick b 1887? There are no children on freebmd that can be attributed to her, despite her marriage in 1908. Emma and the two Harriets are accounted for.
                                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

hi. yes i am pretty sure this must be mine as all the bassicks in the area are related.
                                    barbara bassick married thomas paisley and had one child hugh and another that died soon after birth

Comment

Working...
                                    X