Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help reading a sworn statement prior to a marriage (1799)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading a sworn statement prior to a marriage (1799)

Please could someone help me with the last long paragraph of a document I obtained from the Guildhall Library.

OH's ancestor William Evans Lamb (from Huntingdon) married as his first wife Margaret Mundy.

William was born in 1760 and was still a minor when he married. This document is a sworn statment re. the consent of his father William Lamb to the marriage.

Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Can you just scan the last bit Elizabeth? It is coming up blurry when I try to enlarge the last paragraph.

Joanie

Comment

Joan, this is a scan which I put onto Photobucket and transferred it from there.

On my scan (before Photobucket) I can enlarge the parts I want to see in more detail.

This was a photocopy from a microfilm. The last part is quite dark and very small, cramped writing.

I don't know what else I could do except e-mail the scan. (Not very technically minded, I'm afraid).
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

"Then appeared personally Mary Coombes, of Low Leighton ? in the county of ? widow and .....................that she well knows & is acquainted with the said William Lamb the ? and lawful father of William Evans Lamb, and that having view of the .................................... on the marriage of the said William Evans Lamb with the said Mary Mundy she doth.................verify and in her ..........

Joanie

Comment

This is what I have so far:

"21st September 1778

Appeared personally William Evans Lamb
          and made Oath, that he is the parish of Lowleighton in the County of Essex Batchelor a Minor aged twenty years of age and upwards but under the age of twenty one years

and intendeth to marry Margaret Mundy of the
          Parish of Allhallows Staining London a spinster aged twenty one years and upwards by and with the consent of William Lamb the natural and lawfull father of William Evans Lamb the Minor as appears by a Certificate hereunto annexed

and that he knoweth of no lawful Impediment, by Reason of any Pre-contract, Consanguinity, Affinity, or any other lawful Means whatsoever, to hinder the said intended Marriage and prayed a Licence to solemnize the same in the Parish Church of Allhallows Staining aforesaid

? (in margin)

and further made Oath that the usual Place of Abode of the said Margaret Mundy
          hath been in the said Parish of Allhallows Staining

for the space of four Weeks last past. Then appeared Personally Mary Combes of Low Leighton in the County of Essex Widow and / under Oath that she well knows and is acquainted with the said William Lamb the Natural and lawfull father of the said William Evans Lamb, and that having /"
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Me neither I'm afraid! Is the original image less blurry when you zoom on it?

Joanie

Comment

"..for the space of four Weeks last past. Then appeared Personally Mary Combes of Low Leighton in the County of Essex Widow and / under Oath that she well knows and is acquainted with the said William Lamb the Natural and lawfull father of the said William Evans Lamb, and that having ////hereunto / purporting ? to / certificate of his consent to the marriage of the said William Evans Lamb with the said Margaret Mundy she doth depose that she doth verify and in her / believe the whole contents of the said Certificate and / William Lamb thereto "

Joan, it is very blurry and dark, and the writing gets progressively smaller! I can pick out the names, but not much more. :(
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

I've got a bit more:

… and that having … purporting to be? a certificate of his consent to the marriage of the said William Evans Lamb with the said Margaret Mundy she doth depose that she doth verily and in her … believe the whole contents of the said certificate and the name? William Lamb thereto subscribed to be all of the … and handwriting of the said William Lamb, she the deponent using her acquaintance with the said William Lamb ... and being thereby ... acquainted with her marriage... handwriting and subscription
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 13-12-08, 16:16.

Comment

I think the county may be Essex. The first letter looks like a Y but I think it is
                  E followed by a long S. Hope you understand what I mean. If so the place should be Low Leyton.
                  Moggie

Comment

Mary, thanks, and to you, Joan.

I am wondering if I contact Guildhall Library whether they would dig out the original for me. It would be great to see the original. I understand that they sometimes do that, and some people were looking at original registers.

I have another sheet of paper which is much easier to read as large chunks are typeset and then the individual details are entered. This is where Philip Mundy and Mary Combes are bound in the sum of £200.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

It is Low Leighton or Low Leyton in Essex.

I have the entry of the marriage from the register of All Hallows Staining.

It says "Willam Evans Lamb of the Parish of Low-leighton in the County of Essex Batchelor & a Minor
                      and Margaret Mundy of this Parish Spinster....."

I'd love to know what he was doing there.

He came from Huntingdon, and after his marriage his daughter Hannah was christened in Huntingdon in 1780.

Margaret died and William then married Mary Mallattratt (we are still looking for the marriage record for this marriage). OH is descended from their son Charles Lamb.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

I've just found Margaret's burial in Huntingdon on 28th December 1780.

Poor girl, she had only just over a year of married life. Her daughter Hannah was christened on 25th April - 7 months after the marriage! ;)

Find My Past has given me so many burials and wills, it's been worth it.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

It does appear to have been spelt Leighton or Leyton.
                          This link gives a description of the place.

John Strype's Survey of London Online

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            Mary, thanks, and to you, Joan.

I am wondering if I contact Guildhall Library whether they would dig out the original for me. It would be great to see the original. I understand that they sometimes do that, and some people were looking at original registers.

I have another sheet of paper which is much easier to read as large chunks are typeset and then the individual details are entered. This is where Philip Mundy and Mary Combes are bound in the sum of £200.
                            I think they might be willing to do so if you give them at least twenty-four hours notice.

That was what I was told when I said that I'd be grateful to see the original marriage register for St Leonard's in order to try to make sense of OH's ancestors' double-marriage (i.e. 21 Nov 1811 by Licence and Sep 1812 by Banns). The image for the first one was a bit faint.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've managed to get a few more words:

… and that having viewed? the paper? hereunto ... purporting to be? a certificate of his consent to the marriage of the said William Evans Lamb with the said Margaret Mundy she doth depose that she doth verily and in her conscience believe the whole contents of the said certificate and the name? William Lamb thereto subscribed to be all of the … and handwriting of the said William Lamb, she the deponent during her acquaintance with the said William Lamb ... and also ... and being thereby ... acquainted with his? marriage... handwriting and subscription
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-12-08, 13:39.

Comment

Just a thought that if Mary Combes widow of Low Leighton/Leyton was "well acquainted" with William Lamb (senior) then perhaps he lived there at some time. Possibly he had land/property in L L as well as Huntingdonshire.
                                Moggie

Comment

Sorry not to have replied sooner - I've been stripping wallpaper upstairs!

Mary, thanks for the extra help. It's looking more comprehensible now!

Moggie - you could well be right.
                                  William Evans Lamb's father, the William Lamb whose sworn declaration I have on a separate, small piece of paper, married Susanna Evans (from Wales and there was a big Chancery case involving her family) in TOTTENHAM!

I always wondered their connection over there. I've just checked on Google Maps and Tottenham and Leyton (where Low Leighton/Leyton was) are fairly close.
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:

Comment

This could be a tangled web!

The Chancery case I mentioned involved Susannah Lamb, nee Evans, the mother of William Evans Lamb

Susanna married William Lamb in Tottenham in July 1751.

Susanna had three sisters.
                                    Jemima Evans married John Kent on Christmas Day 1752 at St George Mayfair.
                                    Mary Evans married Richard Hobbs on 18 July 1747 also at St George Mayfair.
                                    Ann Evans married a fairly nasty specimen William Bassett. They had no children. Ann died, William promptly remarried. When he died his widow wanted what had been Ann Evan's inheritance. Ann Evans and William Bassett had a detailed prenuptial agreement!

It is all very complicated.

BUT
                                    Richard and Mary Hobbs (above) had two daughters - Mary and Hannah. Mary married John West. Hannah married Charles Mundy.

The following is an extract of one of the papers in the Chancery Case:

Bill filed 23rd May 1797
                                    amended 12th June 97

"That the sd Anne Bassett departed this life sometime in the month of February 1782 without leaving any Child or Issue and without having revoked or altered the said Will or Paper Writing purporting to be and in the nature of her last will and without having in any other manner Executed the said power given or reserved to her in and by the aforesaid Articles of Agreement and Settlement other than by the said Will or Paper Writing and leaving the said William Bassett her husband her surviving and also leaving Deft Mary now the Wife of Deft John West, Deft Hannah now the wife of Deft Chas Mundy the two daughters of Mary late the Wife of Richard Hobbs Gent one of her sisters and then deceased and Deft Susannah now the wife of Deft Wm Lamb and Deft Jemima now the Wife of Deft John Kent
                                    her two other sisters her Coheiresses at Law her surviving"
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                    X