Northumberland, Durham, Newcastle & Berwick LOOKUPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northumberland, Durham, Newcastle & Berwick LOOKUPS

This morning I was in my local library and came across a book called "Northumberland and Durham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Berwick-upon-Tweed Local Records - A Historical Register of Remarkable Events"

It was first published in 1866 and re-published in the 1970's. Volume 1 covers from the Romans to 1799, the last entry (which IS indexed) being:

This year, the Society of Arts presented the gold medal to Mr Matthew Forster, of Broomy-holme, near Chester-le-Street, for observations on the comparative culture of turnips.

Volume 2 covers from 1800-1832, a random entry being:

1824, Jan 17 - died, at South Shields, Mrs Dobson, aged 100 years

If you think I can help with a lookup, please ask. Please give all known details!

I have borrowed the books until the 3rd January...but am away over Christmas - last lookups that I can do will need to be posted by 6pm Christmas Eve! Have a good Christmas!!
    Last edited by wulliam; 22-12-08, 14:46.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Wulliam

this is a very long shot and an even more forlorn hope, lol, but if you come across the name SMEAKIN/S, or anything remotely like it, I would be interested to hear.

My 5 x GGM hailed from Berwick and her maiden name was allegedly SMEAKIN (from certificates in Scotland, where she spent most of her life).

Her father was Thomas Smeakin, miller of Berwick. Extensive searches for Smeakin events have turned up only a small handful of events for this surname, so I suspect this is a phonetic rendering of something else - Smechin has been suggested, also Smitheram!

OC

Comment

OC - can you suggest some rough dates?

Ben - nothing doing...sorry :(
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

Hi Wulliam

I'd be very grateful if you could look for the surname Lishman, mostly in the Newcastle / North Shields / Tynemouth area.

Also any references to Mitchell, goldsmiths / jewellers in Newcastle or Sunderland.

Many thanks.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi John,
          I can't see Lishman anywhere - but there is a lengthy reference to a John Mitchell, editor and printer of the Tyne Mercury who died 24 Apr 1819 aged 47...might he be connected?? He lived at Chimney Mills on the Leazes near Newcastle.
          Kind regards,
          William

Comment

Hi Wulliam

The Mitchell newspaper dynasty seems to be quite separate from my goldsmiths. A later Mitchell was editor of the Newcastle Courant, which I had a good look through when there was free access to the 19th. century newspapers.

Many thanks for looking.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi William

Can you tell me if there's any references to Brunskill in Durham.

Cheers

Jay
              Jay

Comment

Hi Jay,
                I can't see any Brunskill's anywhere - sorry :(
                Kind regards,
                William

Comment

Thanks for checking.

Cheers

Jay
                  Jay

Comment

Please could you see if you have anything on Whale, Robert, Edward & Thomas were born in 1770/80s in Lowick? Thank you
                    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Hi Jean,
                      I'm afraid the only reference to Lowick is the building of a new church, and the only whales were ones that swam...

Sorry not to be more help!
                      Kind regards,
                      William

Comment

I think thats how mine came up the Thames! ;)
                        Thank you very much for looking.

Jean
                        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Wulliam

My 5 x ggm (Helen nee Smeakin) was born about 1805, but I am interested in any mention of the name at all, as I just cannot get a handle on the Smeakins.

Thomas Smeakin, miller of Berwick, married Helen Dickson in 1796, Berwick, although this is from a Scottish death cert and I haven't (yet) found the marriage.

thanks again!

OC

Comment

Benny

Well, my couple had an Isabella! However, almost every Scottish family I have come across, has an Isabella.

I haven't been able to define Helen Dickson - there are too many to choose from and I don't have enough information about her, she was dead before 1841.

It is most annoying - Smeakins MUST be a mistranscription of something else, as the only time it ever appears is for this family. It is (once) spelled as Smeechum, and another local researcher suggested Smitheram, but that hasn't helped either!

OC

Comment

Ben

Helen Smeakin nee Dickson died in 1807, in Nigg, (Aberdeen).

Her daughter, Helen Smeakin, died in 1855 in Nigg, aged 85, oh thankyou kindly fates, as the 1855 death certs were splendidly informative! Her death cert says "born in Berwick but lived these 49 years in Nigg". Father Thomas Smeakin, miller of Berwick deceased, mother Helen Smeakin ms Dickson deceased.

She is buried in Nigg churchyard with her husband John Dawson, under her maiden name as is the Scottish custom.

Now, for all this family, all details were given by Helen Smeakin's daughter, Isabella Dawson (married Forbes), so I would excpect the Smeakins surname to be consistent and it is. But suppose Isabella got it wrong? Isabella was a tiny baby when her mother died, so any information about the name must have come from family - who might have had a speech impediment, groan.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                                Hi Jean,
                                I'm afraid the only reference to Lowick is the building of a new church,

If you stumble across that again Wulliam can you let me have some info please?

Cheers
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Although not all the details are on her site there is a lady in Australia who has quite a few Berwickshire/Northumberland Dickson connections and quite a bit of detail about the name in the borders area

The site has contact details, (it may be that via marriage there is a connection to Mrs G, Dickson was her married name);

Dickson Surname Page

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Benny

I will pm you, as we are rather taking over Wulliam's thread!

Glenn - thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      Benny

I will pm you, as we are rather taking over Wulliam's thread!

Glenn - thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that.

OC
                                      No problem OC, if you contact Linda directly she has heaps of offline info compiled over a lengthy period.

Also check the following on rootschat, a query from Linda with some Dickson MI and census info added

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 14-12-08, 00:40.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Back to Wulliam's thread

Would be grateful if you could look and see any reference to a Hope or Slight surname in Berwick on Tweed.

Have a John Hope (pitman) residing there in 1830 when daughter born but he had died before 1841 census. He married a Margaret Slight of Berwick on Tweed.
                                        Last edited by JBee; 14-12-08, 02:28.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X