Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing after 1891

Hi
    Sam Kerr Limmer was born at Besthorpe, Norfolk in 1872. Parents Edward & Amelia. Amelia died when he was born.
    1881 Samuel Kerr Limmer is living at Bylaugh, Norfolk with his father.
    1891 Sam mistranscribed as Lemmer is still in Bylaugh with his father. I can find no trace of him after this, no marriage or death as far as I can see.
    In 1901 his father Edward mistranscribed as Tumm is living at Bixley, Norfolk.
    Any help much appreciated
    Moggie

I wonder whether he could have emigrated, Moggie?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite
      I did wonder if he may have gone to America. 4 of Samuel's male cousins emigrated to America between 1875 and 1890. A descendant of one of the cousins has done extensive research into his own family but is unable to find any references to Samuel.
      Moggie

Comment

1906 Canada Census
        Sam Limmer Age: 30
        born abt 1876

or
        Sam Linnier or Limmer
        Birth: abt 1876
        Residence: 1920 - city, Wilson, Tennessee

Comment

That Tennessee one was born in Tennessee, but the Canada one (in Saskatchewan in 1906) was born in England. For some reason I can't enlarge the image, but I think it says he entered Canada in 1891. I'll see if I can spot him on any other censuses...
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks Val & Kite for the Canadian info.
            I had a look on Findmy past and there was a male Limmer ?firstname and no year of birth leaving Liverpool in 1891 going to Canada, Montreal. I don't have any credit left on the site but doubt if viewing the passenger list would give me any more info.
            Moggie

Comment

He seems to be a single adult male, occupation = "Gent", heading for Montreal.

If were forced to offer an idea of first names, I'd say they were only initials, and that the second one looks like "I" or, perhaps, "J".

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine
                Thank you for looking the entry up for me. He could well have been termed a gent. The family did have money and lived at Besthorpe Hall for many years.
                Were there 2 initials before his surname?

Sorry didn't read your post properly. 2 initials so could be S K.

Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                  Hi Christine
                  Thank you for looking the entry up for me. He could well have been termed a gent. The family did have money and lived at Besthorpe Hall for many years.
                  Were there 2 initials before his surname?

Sorry didn't read your post properly. 2 initials so could be S K.

Moggie
                  I ought to say that I couldn't convince myself that the second initial was a K.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine for taking another look at the initials.
                    Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie

Your post is a f

Comment

Hi Moggie

My computer went wild on my first post!!

Your post is a few years old but if you are still looking for information on Samuel Kerr Limmer, I have some.
                        As mentioned in another reply he can be found in the 1906 census in Saskatchewan, Canada.
                        He can also be found in the 1911 census in Manitoba, Canada. He lived in a village of less than 20 people, Regent, Manitoba, Canada
                        until his death in 1957. I vaguely remember him when I was a child and do remember walking past his house.
                        There was also and Ed Kerr and an Albert Kerr that lived in the area long before my time and I wonder if they were relatives of Sam.
                        I have a write up about him from our local history book if you are interested.
                        1911 census shows him born in 1871, 39 years old, coming from England in 1891. The document is very hard to read.
                        The write up in our local history book says he was born in Norfolk, England in 1872.

beemore

Comment

Hi beemore,
                          Mordarby Moggy is a regular poster on this site and will be pleased to hear from you after so long after she posted this thread.

You can make contact by clicking on her user name and selecting send a Private message where you can write a message to her, I will also send her a message in case there is a problem.

Welcome to the Forum

Edna

Comment

Message sent to Moggy for you as I think the rules on PM messages have changed you have to post three messages before you can send a PM

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna

beemore

Comment

1921 canada census has him as a lodger occ farmer

Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Edna
                                  Thanks for messaging me about the new post.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by beemore View Post
                                    Hi Moggie

My computer went wild on my first post!!

Your post is a few years old but if you are still looking for information on Samuel Kerr Limmer, I have some.
                                    As mentioned in another reply he can be found in the 1906 census in Saskatchewan, Canada.
                                    He can also be found in the 1911 census in Manitoba, Canada. He lived in a village of less than 20 people, Regent, Manitoba, Canada
                                    until his death in 1957. I vaguely remember him when I was a child and do remember walking past his house.
                                    There was also and Ed Kerr and an Albert Kerr that lived in the area long before my time and I wonder if they were relatives of Sam.
                                    I have a write up about him from our local history book if you are interested.
                                    1911 census shows him born in 1871, 39 years old, coming from England in 1891. The document is very hard to read.
                                    The write up in our local history book says he was born in Norfolk, England in 1872.

beemore
                                    Hi Beemore
                                    Samuel is one of my "loose ends" in this branch of the Limmer family. I had found out that 3 of his male cousins (brothers) went to America & have recently found that a fourth cousin also ended up in America.
                                    I would be very interested in the details about him in your local history book.
                                    Many thanks
                                    Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                      Hi Edna
                                      Thanks for messaging me about the new post.
                                      Moggie
                                      Moggie you do know that you can subscribe to your own threads don't you?? I am pretty sure that you can have daily or weekly emails or instant notification, have a look in your settings at the top of the page where you login.

then goto My Settings>>>General Settings>>>Messaging & Notification>>>Default Thread Subscription Mode: choose from drop down box :smilee:
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        Moggie you do know that you can subscribe to your own threads don't you?? I am pretty sure that you can have daily or weekly emails or instant notification, have a look in your settings at the top of the page where you login.

then goto My Settings>>>General Settings>>>Messaging & Notification>>>Default Thread Subscription Mode: choose from drop down box :smilee:
                                        Hi Julie
                                        Thanks for that.
                                        I have now changed it in my settings.
                                        Moggie

Comment

Working...
                                        X