Weston Hill Norwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weston Hill Norwood

Can anyone pinpoint for me where Weston Hill, Norwood was?

My great-grandmother was born there in 1859.

I have had no luck with Google Maps or Google.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Just guessing but it could well have been swallowed up in the masses of land taken by the railways in that area.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
      Can anyone pinpoint for me where Weston Hill, Norwood was?

My great-grandmother was born there in 1859.

I have had no luck with Google Maps or Google.
      Hi Have just put Norwood into google and it came up with a home page.
      Norwood .towntalk
      It says it's around Lambeth area.
      edi.X.

Comment

Thanks, Edi. I have been on the website, but it still doesn't help with Weston Hill.

I bought two maps for parts of Norwood during the week, but they don't show Weston Hill either (Lower Norwood 870 and West Norwood 1894).
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
          Thanks, Edi. I have been on the website, but it still doesn't help with Weston Hill.

I bought two maps for parts of Norwood during the week, but they don't show Weston Hill either (Lower Norwood 870 and West Norwood 1894).
          Not had a look on the site but do they have a forum?
          Maybe someone on that could help
          Or contact local area council .
          EDI.x.

Comment

There is a Westow Park and Westow Hill in the Upper Norewood/Crystal Palace area.

Have you found Weston Hill on the census and tried to find some neighbouring roads/streets which might give you an indication of where it might have been.
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine - thanks so much! It could well be Westow Hill. The birth certificate is very fuzzy and the end of the word "West-" runs into the beginning of "Hill" so you can't read the last letter correctly.

There are entries for "Weston Hill" on the National Archives website, but not many. There are also some google entries with Weston Hill as transcriptions from census entries.

Off to investigate!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

I think you are right, Elaine.

Jessie's father was Henry William Pond/Bond and was an Eating House Keeper. It looks like a likely road for such establishments.

I have also looked at the birth certificate again and it IS Westow Road - that is clear from the Informant column where her mother Eliza signed and gave her address.

Westow Hill, Upper Norwood, c. 1890
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, I used to live in Sydenham which is almost Norwood. There was a Westwood Hill in Norwood (not Westow). Does this help? Sorry, off to bed now so probably won't read your answer! Anyway, hope it helps. Night, night! Val

Comment

Had friends who lived in Westow hill, Norwood and that was my first thought when I read your thread title!
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                    X