Another name for Nellie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another name for Nellie?

A Scottish rellie (a Church of Scotland minister as it happens) married his housekeeper and a few years later they had a son. Said lady is Nellie in the 1881 census before marriage, in 1882 at marriage, in 1889 at birth of son and in the 1891 and 1901 censuses. Yet I can't find a birth in that name on SP.

I have a few more avenues to explore, but in the meantime any ideas for alternative names please? Her middle name is Summers, which suggests a grandmother's surname. Her parents are both shown as deceased at her marriage. Her father was a Spirit merchant - shock, horror. No wonder they waited 6 months after his father died.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

The usual suggestions would be the variations of Ellen, Helen and Eleanor.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Eleanor?

Comment

Helen, Ellen, Eleanor, Elena, Elinor can all be abbreviated to Nell or Nellie.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes same as Christine said

Helen
          Ellen
          Eleanor

but also Cornelia

Although I have someone called Nellie May W....... in my tree and that is what she was registered as.

Comment

My Grandma's sister was known as Nellie...but her name was LYDIA!

Don't quite know how Lydia became Nellie.
            teresa

Comment

Thank you for your positive suggestions, which were not the slightest help!!

Here's the rest of the story, some of which I've just found, and which doesn't help either!

At her marriage in 1882 in Airdrie, Nellie S Russell aged 21 said her parents were James Russell (deceased spirit dealer) and Jane (deceased, m.s. Jack). One of the witnesses was Martha Russell.

I've found a good match with a family in 1861 and 1871:

James Russell, 48, Spirit dealer born Denny, Stirlingshire
              Jane Russell, 30, Airdrie
              Martha Russell, 6, Airdrie
              John Russell, 4, Airdrie
              Janet Russell, 3, Airdrie

James Russell, 57, shopman in spirit shop, Denny
              Martha 16, Airdrie
              John 14, engine keeper, Airdrie
              Janet 13, Airdrie

So mother Jane died some time in the 1860's. BUT there's no sign of Nellie who was born about 1863 (her ages on the censuses match her age at marriage exactly). Nellie's address at marriage isn't any of the family addresses from the censuses.

Comment

... and of course Nellie can be Nellie.
                I have some very close relatives who were Christened Nellie and have Nellie on their birthcerts.
                Have you tried NELLY or NELL?
                Good luck - I also have a missing Nellie and it is driving me mad.
                herky
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Maybe Nellie wasn't born a Russell, but registered under her mother's maiden name or another married name, and then adopted Russell when her mother married James?

Comment

Where does your Nellie say she was born? Does it fit in with Airdrie?

Comment

Nellie was about 5 years younger than the youngest of the 3 siblings, Janet. She might well have been "adopted" but then her birth name would be anyone's guess.

EDIT: Nellie says all along that she was born in Airdrie.

Comment

What about this one - is it possible?

Scotlands People

1862 RUSSELL HELEN SOMMERS F AIRDRIE OR NEW MONKLAND /LANARK 651/01 0066

herky
                        herky
                        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Ooh I say, spot on that man. She was Nellie Summers on the child's birth registration.

Oh bum, I've only got 5 credits left, so I'll have to invest another 6 quid!

Comment

JACKPOT and of course it gives the parents' marriage date. Yet another address though.

Comment

HELEN SOMMERS RUSSELL
                              Birth: 25 JAN 1862 New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland

Parents:
                              Father: JAMES RUSSELL
                              Mother: JANE JACK

JANET MORRISON RUSSELL
                              Female

Event(s):
                              Birth: 07 JAN 1858 New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland

Parents:
                              Father: JAMES RUSSELL
                              Mother: JEAN JACK

Dont forget,Jean &Jane are interchangable
                              Jess

Comment

James Russell
                                Male
                                Event(s):
                                Birth: 1814 Of Airdrie, New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland

Christening:
                                Death: 24 MAY 1874 Airdrie, New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland

Burial:
                                Parents:
                                Father: John Russell Family
                                Mother: Janet Momson

Marriages:
                                Spouse: Jane or Jean Jack
                                Marriage: NOV 1854 Airdrie, New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland
                                Batch M116516

Banns: OCT 1854 New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland
                                Last edited by Jessbowbag; 12-12-08, 20:07.
                                Jess

Comment

Thnaks for those Jess. I hadn't got round to the IGI.

Comment

And just to mention what started this off. I found Nellie's marriage on SP but the image was completely unreadable. Within 24 hours of emailing SP, a nice lady at GROS sent me a rescan by email.

Comment

Yes Uncle John - I have found SP to be very helpful and on one occasion when they couldn't improve an image they sent me , by post, an A3 size paper copy of the cert and refunded my credits. It turned out the cert wasn't a match for my tree but at least I could eliminate it whereas the image on the screen was unreadable and I would have always wondered what it said.
                                      herky:D
                                      herky

Comment

My best ever one was an 1855 birth. The registrar had used such a fine nib that the image was almost invisible. They sent me the most magnificent A3 scan (1855 births occupy a double page spread). I don't have it now; it went into the tree I did for my aunt's 90th. birthday.

And now I've picked up from Google a Rootsweb message from 2004 from what appears to be a distant rellie in Australia. I do hope the email address is still current.

Comment

Working...
                                        X