New Ancestry charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ancestry charges

Apologies for submitting my last post again, but hopefully someone will be able to help me with my questions. My subs to Ancestry run out 18 Dec so I don't have a lot of time to make a decision whether to renew or not.

Hi All

Does anyone know what an overseas member would now pay taking into account that they would not be liable for VAT. My charge last year was £59.04 but I have received my renewal advice which says it is now £83.40

Also, will this package include parish records which are currently available to me as the Ancestry email states that parish and probate records will only be available on the Premium package.

Finally, I only have a couple of relatives in the U.S. and have looked up information previously, but recently when I tried to access some information, it would appear to be not available any more - when did change happen?

Any advice greatfully appreciated.

Many Thanks

Terry

Terry, "overseas" covers many different countries and the price is likely to be different depending on where you live, as they may add on a tax which is applicable to your country. You might find it best to contact ancestry and ask them what price you would pay for each grade of sub.

As I understand it, the Essentials membership covers BMD and census but not parish records etc.

I can't check as I don't have a UK only sub, but this is how I remember it from when I did: if you go onto ancestry.com and search the US records, it should offer you the chance to upgrade your sub or buy some pay-as-you-go credits to view the US stuff. Sometimes they will have a new database that is free for everyone to view, maybe for a limited period. Also, for some databases it will display a list of matches but without most of the details so you would have to pay to see the full record, but for some it won't even do that.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kiterunner

Thanks for the info. I think the new VAT is 15% so, as I live in Gib and would be VAT exempt, so my sub should be approx £72.50 Do you know what the current sub is for Ancestry in OZ and would it work out cheaper for me? Gib is in the Sterling Area so I would be paying in Pounds.

I'm not too worried about losing the USA records as I have most of the info I need. However, I wouldn't want to lose access to Parish Records for Yorkshire which are currently available to me. Do you know if I would still be able to access them if I registered with Ancestry Oz?

Thanks again

Terry

Comment

Many thanks for that Elaine.

Comment

The two collections are very similiar

Essentials Collection

Create, grow and share your family tree online

Learn family history hints and tips at the online Ancestry Learning Centre

Search key record collections - like Birth, Marriage and Death Indexes and Census records

Be the first to find out about new record releases and site features with your monthly Ancestry membership e-newsletter

Get help from the world's largest online family history community

Access the largest online collection of British World War One military records - from pension and service records to medal indexes and more

Discover further fascinating record collections - like the British Phone Books records, newspaper archives and University alumni

Premium Membership, all of the above plus

Access invaluable pre-1837 Parish and Probate records

Explore our Irish record collections
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

In order to get VAT exemption, you would need to ring them, otherwise you will just pay whatever they think is right - which in your case would probably be wrong.
            Tracy

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies and advice - much appreciated.

Terry

Comment

Working...
              X