Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• german help and translation

hi, i need help with some german.

i cant use the link for the internet version of this site, because the pictures won't show.to help with the problem, type 'adolph and maria gebert' into google. click on the first link. it should open in adobe, it is a family history of the gebert family.

scroll down to chapter three. there are pictures of a birth and death certificate for carl friederich joachim ludwig gebert. can someone decipher the german please?

i'd love to know what it all says, particurly the second last column from the right, in his birth cert. i think it's listing his godparent's. can someone please decipher it? carl wendelborn is possibly the baby's maternal uncle, and i'd like any help i can get on these german's.

thankyou for help and suggestions
    kyle

Kyle,

The second column is the date of the birth - 3rd January.

The third column is the date of baptism - 5th January.

The fourth column is the father's name: Johann Adolph Gebert. I can't read his occupation (I think that's what it is) even if I enlarge the image, but it seems to begin with "Arbeits-" which is "work"

The fifth column is the mother's name: Maria nee Wendelborn

I can't read the next column heading very well - it is "Name of ?" and I suspect it might be the godparents. It does say all 4 are from Krassow.

I can't read the last column either. I have a problem when enlarging the picture as everything is fuzzy.

I hope that helps to some extent.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Kyle,

I think the last but one column is headed "Namen der Gevattern", which, as you thought, would mean "names of the godfathers". Having said that, number 4 looks like Luise Hinze, which might be a female name.

Had you noticed that the child's names were similar to the names in this column, supposing Ludewig to be the male version of Luise ?

I can't read the heading of the last column, but I think the entry says "Pastor Albrand", so probably he was the priest/minister who performed the baptism?

Hope that helps a bit more. Maybe someone else can fill the remaining gaps?

Roger

Comment

In the heading of the last column the second word seems to be 'Prediger' = clergyman.

Comment

Is "Gevattern" a word which can be used for "Godparents", and not just "Godfathers"?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Is "Gevattern" a word which can be used for "Godparents", and not just "Godfathers"?

Christine
            I'm not sure, but very likely I think. There is a word Gevatterin for godmother. Probably it is like in English, one can have a list of actors which includes actresses. "The male embraces the female" as someone once put it.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
              I'm not sure, but very likely I think. There is a word Gevatterin for godmother. Probably it is like in English, one can have a list of actors which includes actresses. "The male embraces the female" as someone once put it.:D
              ?
              As the Actress said to the Bishop??? :D

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Googling around I found some sites which say that "Gevatter" can mean Sponsor or Godparent, as well as Godfather.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thankyou, everyone for translating, it was difficult, but i understood the gist of it. i did pick up luise, and tried the igi for any hints on the godparents, but it wasn't very helpful.
                  the father adolph was a serf, on the manor of a lord. im not sure what the occupation would have been. peasant farmer would be my bet.
                  thankyou for trying to enlarge the image. its been grouse this has been an easy question to answer.

i've been trying to understand the relationships of the godparents to adolph and maria. is there a rule or guidelines for germans as to who was a godparent? i have adolphs godfathers too, but can't find any connection for them.

Comment

Don't know about about German certificates, but on Dutch birth certificates I have found the witnesses usually do not appear to be related to the family. On the ones I've found I think sometimes they are friends or colleagues of the father.
                    Again this is for Dutch birth certificates (not baptisms) though - I don't know about German, but there might be similarities.
                    Sarah

Comment

well, it could be cloggie, they're from similar cultures. im really interested in carl wendelborn, the surname is very rare, and theres this godparent out of nowhere with it. im pretty sure he's related somewhere. this is really uncommon name.

Comment

Working...
                      X