Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused Dodger

I have an issue with ordering the correct marriage cert

briefly there are two entries for the groom with different page numbers and differing surnames

example :-

John Smith Vol 1a Page 100 - correct bride listed

John Nesmith Vol 1a 99a - no others listed

I do not really want to get both certs but the correct name would be the latter one without bride listed. Which should I order?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear I've now found birth registration entries for children under both surnames !!

example :-

Joseph Smith 1896 (died 1899 not on census)
    Jean Smith 1898
    Jane Nesmith 1899
    John Nesmith 1901

All same reg district and under name of Nesmith on 1901 census
    Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 12-12-08, 03:45. Reason: Additional information

I'm not really sure what you mean about the children - do you mean that some were registered under one surname and some under the other, or do you mean that one child is listed under both surnames?

As for the marriage certificate, I'm not sure but I suspect that whichever you order you will get the same one and it has been amended or there is something attached to it. It might be worth you contacting the GRO before ordering to ask what to do - or maybe contact the local register office for the area instead as they may be more helpful.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Couldn't the marriage certs be for 2 different people though? With the rest of the names on the John Nesmith Vol 1a 99a page not transcribed yet?
      Sarah

Comment

I was going to help, but are those fake names, as I can't find any of the Nesmith entries you mention?

Comment

I was assuming all the details were changed, so I didn't bother trying to look them up! Usually a page number ending with a is a page that has been inserted later, so it does seem likely that the page 99a is for the same marriage, rather than a separate one.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Erm, so how can we help if we don't know who we are talking about?

(I'm probably being thicker than usual because we've just found none of our Christmas lights are working!! lol)

Comment

I suppose only by giving general advice. It looks to me as though the man in question changed or corrected his surname at some point and got his name changed on his marriage certificate, or got an alternative surname added to it, and from then on he registered any further children with the new surname instead of the old one, but this could be wrong if I have misunderstood the bit about the children's birth registrations in the initial post.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Those suggestions are the most likely, but it could be something else - without the details it's hard to know.

Unless it's London, I would suggest contacting the local reg office for advice.

Comment

My apologies Merry, I thought by putting 'example' I was showing these were not the actual names. I didn't want to waste anybody's time doing look-ups for information I already had, rather I was looking for suggestions how to proceed with regards to ordering cert.

Thank you all for your input I have spoken to the local office and decided which page number to use.

Comment

Working...
                  X