Published wills... are they

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Published wills... are they

always published ? , if so how would I go about finding what someone had left, monetarily speaking? Are they published in the town where you died or the town you had just left? or not always published. The one in question went to probate.

sunny rosy

From 1858 they are listed in the Probate Calendars ( some Record offices have them on fiche) there are some details in the wiki.

If you find an entry in the Calendars you can order a will for £5
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 11-12-08, 19:19. Reason: link to wiki

Comment

Sunny Rosy

"Published" in the context of Wills just means that they are available in the public domain, because they have been probated or completed by admon.

Many newspapers until quite recently used to "publish" Wills - the amount the person left and their name and address, but not the nitty gritty of the Will.

I agree with Benny, Wills can be an absolute gold mine of information and mine have been fantastic mostly - except the three liner where a wealthy farmer left "everything to Mary Hammond, for her care of me". Who Mary Hammond was, other than a neighbour, I shall never know.

OC

Comment

OC I just wondered if there were some means of finding out how much my late neighbour (the one I cared for for 5 years) left? Her daughter is going to rent out the home for £850 a month (she'll be lucky) without really doing much to it. She has had a few carpets renewed and the place professionally cleaned but not to a standard I would aspire to!!! For instance i would have renewed the seats in both toilets, after twenty or more years of having no real cleaning to speak of.! they are clean but stained ,if you get what I mean. A young woman is keen to rent but wants two carpets replaced to match new ones throughout and owner complained to me "it's a brilliant carpet, nearly new and excellent quality" I told her it's not to everyone's taste though, she wants us to make sure that the carpet fitter takes it up in one piece, rolls it carefully and help him to put it in the garage , to store. I just can't get over how mean she is and downright greedy, I know her Mum had a lot of money. Of course it would be better for us if she sold it. Rant over.

sunny rosy

Comment

Sunny Rosy

If it went to probate fairly recently, you might be able to get a copy from the local Probate Office.

OC

Comment

Yes OC around August 2008, I'm very nosey aren't I, but I heard her shout at her mother once, but mother you are not poor you have 20 portfolios!!!! couldn't not overhear as she was so deaf you had to shout to make her hear, she wouldn't buy new batteries for her hearing aid as they didn't last long enough!!! would the probate be done in Devon as she died in Suffolk.

sunny rosy

Comment

Benny I don't think my ancestors had anything to leave, my grandpa did at one time own 5 houses, but had sold all but his own by the time that he died.

sunny rosy

Comment

Probate would normally be done where the person's property was, or where they normally lived, although an executor can choose a probate office local to them.

My dad lived and died in East Devon(!) but I handled the probate from my county town in Cornwall. However, the Will was actually probated in Devon - my local office acted as a go-between.

OC

Comment

Thankd OC will try here first.

sunny rosy

Comment

Working...
                  X