Can anyone find William and Martha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find William and Martha?

I seem to have mislaid a couple of my Parkinsons in 1841.

William Parkinson was born in Sawley, Derbyshire, on 01/03/1779, and his wife Martha Bonsall was baptised at Breaston, Derbyshire, on 10/5/1768. The couple were married in Breaston on 18/04/1804.

As far as I know they had no children; in his will, William left everything to Martha and various nieces and nephews.

William died in Sawley in 1844, and Martha probably died in Sawley in 1848.

They consequently won't be on the 1851 census, and I can't find them anywhere in 1841.

William was a wealthy farmer. He owned Bothe Hall and Sawley Grange, both in Sawley. Sawley Grange was occupied by his sister Elizabeth Frearson in 1841. He left Bothe Hall and most of his estate to his nephew William Bennett, who I haven't found yet in 1841. He's not with his parents Thomas and Ann, and he didn't marry until 1845.

William Bennett was born in Isley Walton, Leicestershire, in 1813. In 1851 he was living at 14 Church St., Sawley with his wife Mary and children Dorothy and William. In 1871 they're at Sawley Hall, Sawley; not sure if that's an alternative name for Bothe Hall or Sawley Grange.

According to his obituary, William suffered from a long and painful illness before his death; I would have expected to find him and Martha at home at Bothe Hall in 1841, but I suppose they may have been elsewhere. I've started trawling through the census, but I haven't found Bothe Hall yet.

Can anyone find them?
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-12-08, 19:52.

I've had a look at the 1841 enumeration district descriptions (Districts 6 to 10) which don't help!

All that area got overrun with railways twenty years later.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There was a family of Parkinsons in Sawley in 1841, which included two children named Martha and William; I assume that you found those and they are not relatives?

I really don't like this new Ancestry set up. It takes me ages to get where I want to be
      Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        I've had a look at the 1841 enumeration district descriptions (Districts 6 to 10) which don't help!
        No, I checked the description of the enumeration districts, and I didn't find Bothe Hall mentioned.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-12-08, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
          There was a family of Parkinsons in Sawley in 1841, which included two children named Martha and William; I assume that you found those and they are not relatives?
          All the Parkinsons in Sawley seem to be related to each other.

If the family you mean is Joseph and Sarah with children Martha, Grace and William, living in Wilsthorpe, that Joseph was William Parkinson's brother.

Comment

Just nudging this thread in case anyone else fancies having a go.

Comment

There is a Martha Parkin born in 1771 ??? Derby on 1841
              but I dont know why it wont let me view the record ??
              Keeps asking me to join up ????

Comment

ugh there is also a William Parkin born in 1781 ?? in Derbyshire on the 1841 census but still cannot access the image ???

Comment

Hi Val,

I think I'd already found those and ruled them out, but I'm having trouble viewing images too - Ancestry's been giving me this error since yesterday.

As soon as I can access images again I'll check - thanks for trying.

Comment

I cannot get on with the new concept at all
                    I used to have a list of all the records like UK Cenus Records but thats disappeared ???

Comment

That used to be on the Home page. If you click on the Search tab at the top of the page, you'll find a list of census links. It's not nearly as convenient as before, though.

Comment

thanks Mary I get so frustrated with it all , why dont they leave things alone

Comment

Working...
                        X