Drieberg ceylon / India connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drieberg ceylon / India connection

I am trying to find seven children of parents who died simultaneously while in Colombo.

Where did they go ? Does anyone know and able to supply names to match dates for these

22.06.1837 girl born at Calcutta

14.06.1839 boy born at Calcutta

22.06.1840 girl born at Calcutta

18.02.1841 boy born at Howrah Bengal

02.10.1842 boy born at Bampur Bengal

1843 girl born at Purneah ? Bengal

All Dribergs. One of who we know is our great grandfather. Any knowledge or information would be much appreciated by his descendants. The name he used was William Thomas.

Our contact email address is ; lyn.bill@woosh.co.nz please put Drieberg in message line.

There are 6 Driberg births listed on the British Library India Office website:
    India Office Family History Search

22 Jun 1837 (daughter to the lady of the Rev. C.E. Driberg), 14 May 1839 (son), 18 Feb 1841 (son), 2 Oct 1842 (son), 2 Dec 1843 (daughter), all with no name recorded, and John James Street Driberg born 18 Feb 1841 Howrah, parents Charles Edward, Rev., J.P.G. Missionary, and Sophia Ann. John was baptised 29 Jun 1841 at Bishop's College, Calcutta.

The same site lists the parents' marriage as Charles Edward Driberg to Sophia Ann French, 21 Jul 1836 at Calcutta Cath.

FamilySearch also has a submitted entry for the baptism of Gertrude Isabel Driberg, same parents as above, 2 Nov 1847 Fort Williams, West Bengal.

Have you tried looking at the GRO Overseas birth indexes on findmypast or Family Relatives to see if they are listed on there? And also at the corresponding death indexes to see if they died in infancy? Also if you can find the parents on a passenger list, it might tell you how many children travelled with them and maybe even give their names.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It looks as though John James Street Driberg was the father of Tom Driberg:
      Tom Driberg, Baron Bradwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      KiteRunner

Comment

And there is a snippet on Google Books from the Lancing Register (Lancing College) mentioning Edwin Henry Driberg, born 24 Mar 1852, son of the Rev C E Driberg, and it looks as if there is another son (younger than Edwin) mentioned in there too, but I can't see his name. C E Driberg gets so many matches on Google Book Search that you would think there would be a biography of him somewhere that might mention his children!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Is it OK to have an email address in a Research message? It does look as if lauza intended it.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It's up to her if she wants to post it, Uncle John.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by lauza View Post

02.10.1842 boy born at Bampur Bengal
              That should be Barripur:

The Asiatic Journal and Monthly ... - Google Book Search

Comment

Marriages, 21 July 1836:

Rev. CE Driberg, to Miss SA French

The Calcutta Christian Observer - Google Book Search

Comment

I'm wondering if this is CE's sister:

Marriages, 13/1/1841
                  At Calcutta, the Rev. A.H. Moore, S.P.G. missionary, to Mary Helen, daughter of the late Capt. C. Driberg, of H.M. Ceylon Rifles.

FIBIS - Powered by The Frontis Archive Publishing System

CE Driberg was also connected with the SPG (Society for the Propagation of the Gospel).

Comment

According to the Wikipedia article that Kate posted, John James Street Driberg married Amy Mary Bell, who is probably the person referred to here:

Mrs Amy Mary Driberg PAR513/24/2 1939

These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office

Former reference: PAR513/24/2

Contents:
                    By her will dated 27 June 1838, Amy Mary Driberg of Uckfield Lodge, Crowborough, bequeathed £200 to the PCC of St John's to be put to charitable purposes.
                    The National Archives

Comment

Working...
                    X