Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstone says 79 But ???

Is this normal ??? Headstone says aged 79 but Death Cert says 83 ?? thanks

I suppose it depends if the same person gave details to the registrar and the stonemason, or if it were the same person they subsequently discovered the different information prior to giving the instructions to the stonemason.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I wouldn't say it's normal, but it does happen. Do you know whether either age is correct?! Could the stone have been errected a long time after the death? Who might have been responsible for arranging the stone?

Comment

Yes the wrong info can be given to the stonemason by mistake - I know it happened in my family (also someone lied about their age too!!)

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

well I would be delighted if the age on the Headstone is correct otherwise its a bit of a puzzle.
          His Daughter was the informant on the Death Cert dont know who arranged the Headstone ???

Comment

Val, I had a similar situation last night.

I found a photo of a gravestone on a website - that gave her age as 44 yrs. It also gave date of death as 27 May 1882. In the GRO index there is only one possibility for that quarter, but that records her age as 34!

She was bp on 14 June 1838, which fits in with the 44 yrs.

On 1881 census, her age was given as 34, which tallies with the cert!

It is the right lady in census ( birth place, husband and children all correct and they live in a tiny village) but age is same as for 1871 census.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Val, I have a photo of a headstone commemmorating two of my rellies, and it gives the wrong year of death for both of them, so I'm sure it's possible.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

oh great !! thanks everybody trouble is there are three people with the same name who died bewteen 1907 and 1914 all in the right area , didnt want to think I visited the wrong Grave LOL

Comment

I have a Scottish relative who knocked 13 years off her age. Her death, reported by her daughter, gives the wrong age and so does the gravestone.

You might think I have the wrong person, but I don't - I have her birth cert and her two appearances as a singlewoman on the census, confirmed in later censuses as the same woman because her elderly mother is living with her and has a most unusual first name!

OC

Comment

On the headstone of my hubbies 2x great grandparents it mentioned their nephew who died WW1 age 17 on the headstone. This was not their nephew, it was their grandson, their nephew, who had the same name, also died WW1 aged 44.

Jan

Comment

thats amazing OC its quite a few years to knock off isnt it ????
                      How awful Jan are they doing anything about it ???

Comment

Val I don't know what they could do about it, I assume it's been on the stone for 90 ish years. One day I'll see if I can track the stonemason down.

Comment

There was quite an argument about what should go on the gravestone of an elderly relative of mine. Some had the DOD wrong. It required looking up the calendar to sort it out.
                          Kit

Comment

My maternal grandfather's date of birth and age differ on just about every piece of documentation we have for him, all except his birth cert which we don't have!!!

First he fibbed about his age when coming to the UK, as he had run away from home, so Ships Passenger list has him several years older than he thought he was. Bearing in mind he was illiterate, had no papers, and prob only had a rough idea of his birthdate anyway.
                            By the time he married my grandma he knocked a few years off so there wasn't such a big age gap between them, so marriage cert has different age.
                            His Naturalisation papers have another age, because by that time I think he genuinely didn't know what year he had been born!

By the time he died, the death cert says one age, but auntie adamant that this was incorrect. So grandma and auntie were at loggerheads regarding what age to put on gravestone. Grandma arranged it eventually, and got mixed up!!
                            Auntie and Mum still argue over the year he was born!!
                            And I am still unable to find his birth registration or birth cert from Lithuania.

Hey ho.
                            K
                            Karen x

Comment

Val

Yes, it made me laugh, that must be where I get it from! (Lying about my age, I mean, although I couldn't get away with 13 years).

She had her last child when she was "34" (47, really).

I do wonder how she got away with it in front of her mum when the enumerator asked, lol.

OC

Comment

Either can be wrong. On balance, I'd be inclined to believe the gravestone, as someone PAID for that, so had the incentive to get the information correct. Where I have discrepancies, it's usually the gravestone that's right.

Having said that, there weren't many options when a mistake was made in stone. Occasionally, a mason may have stuck a bit of mortar in and recarved that. Of course, that would often fall out...
                                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Not a gravestone, but a fairly recent death (2002). English death registration gives d.o.b. of xxxxx 1914 but I've found his immigration to UK on a ship in 1960 where his d.o.b. is recorded as (same date) 1915. So somehow he or his children aged him by a year. He was born in the West Indies and I haven't yet found a birth registration.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OC maybe her mother was pleased she lied as it made her look younger too ??? after all what Woman wants people to believe your child is 13 years older than she really is .
                                    I am quite pleased now as the date on Headstone matches perfectly .

Comment

Never take any date a face value even if it is written in stone.
                                      There is a burial in a churchyard near here with the burial date (on the headstone) as 31st February.
                                      Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

LOL Guy!
                                        My uncle was born on 29th February 1920 but when I applied for his birth cert it said 1st March. Obviously the registrar forgot it was a leap year!
                                        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Working...
                                        X