Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Visit to Guildhall Libary

I had a really good day today!

I've been collecting things to research in Guildhall library. When I have been to the LMA in the past, some of the things I have wanted to look at haven't been there, but at Guildhall.

I did three things:

1) My Pond/Bond family
    Looked at the marriage entry in 1805 at Saint Leonard's Shoreditch for Henry Pond and Mary Plowright and printed it off
    Looked at the 1808 birth at St Botolph without Bishopsgate for my ancestor Henry William Pond and printed it off
    Found and printed off the marriage entry for Henry William Pond and Eliza Brewer nee Jeffcoat (widow) at St Leonard's Shoreditch

2) OH's Lamb family
    Marriage of William Evans Lamb to Margaret Mundy
    at All Hallows Staining on 21st September 1779
    I looked at the Parish Register and printed out the entry
    William was a minor and they got married by Licence
    In the afternoon I looked around the library and found an index of marriage bonds
    I took it to the librarian and there were two sources to consult
    So I have an oath for William to marry Margaret and also a note to say that his father William Lamb from Huntingdon consented to the marriage
    (It also told me where Margaret Munday came from (Longleighton in Essex) and her father's name (Philip)

3) OH's ancestor Joseph Newton, a firebrick merchant, from Bankside Southwark was buried at Bunhill Fields
    I got to see and pirnt out an entry for the burial, giving various details such as his abode, his age, the undertakers, the plot etc.

I also had time at lunchtime to go from the Guildhall Library (nr Moorgate) and walk along London Wall up to Liverpool Street to meet no. 2 daughter for lunch (she works just behind Liverpool Street Station).

A really good day - I got a direct train from Harpenden at 9.47 arrived about 10.23 at Moorgate and back off-peak on a train at 4.24 and home (in the door) at 5.14. Not bad!

They also have a very good bookshop there and I bought some old maps.

I also found there (quite by accident) a book that my cousin has written, absolutely beautiful!

"Mapping London Making Sense of the City" by Simon Foxell
    (He is an architect)

Mapping London: Making Sense of the City - All Books - Black Dog Publishing

My uncle (his father and my godfather) wrote a book about the Great Fire of London, but I think it is out of print.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 10-12-08, 22:06.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

What a rewarding day Elizabeth They are so helpful there, I've been to exhibitions several times and researched once.

As you say, the bookshop is full of publications useful to anyone with London ancestors, and if anyone ever has any leftover time the Art Gallery is well worth a visit, the Roman Amphitheatre remains are in the basement (very spooky if you are on your own as I was)

Comment

Elizabeth

So glad you've had a successful time. The Guildhall library is wonderful. Much easier to use as there's more space around each microfilm reader than at LMA. The actual book bit of the library is a wonderful resource too, and there are microfilms of London directories going way back. A real treasure trove.

Next time, you could take a walk through Bunhill Fields. My ex has a gt x 5 grandfather buried there - though when husband was working opposite we didn't know that!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, I've been to the Guildhall Library - a week ago last Friday - because I was meeting up with a friend who'd come to London from Switzerland. I managed to get some useful research done while waiting (yes - they're very helpful there) and then we met up for tea in St Paul's Crypt Restaurant, followed by Evensong in the Cathedral - lovely music (by which he and another visitor were very impressed).

I also established that - with 24 hours warning - I could have a look at the actual parish register since the fiche is a bit indistinct for one of the marriages.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, yes there were people looking at original registers.

I had quite a bit to cover but when I go back I will see which original registers I can see. The register with the marriage bonds was the original one.

I was very impressed with it. The staff were very friendly and the layout was very good. There is so much more for me to investigate, but at least I got done what I had planned.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
          X