Ancestry home page.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry home page.

Help! I am in middle of the Au 14 day trial but if I go on the Uk site I have a new home page.
    It took me ages to find the free BMD and the census info, I'm not sure I'll find them again.
    It has given me a links page but it is all USA stuff.
    What on earth is going on?
    Is there a way of going back to the old page?
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

I think you can select the old version in the top right of the page.
    Margaret

Comment

Not sure you can Margaret -it seems to be a completely revamped home page. I hope they havenĀ“t changed the search methods as well.

Jeanie - click on customize your home page and a box opens up.
      On the left hand side select Record Collection.
      In the middle section click on +Add to home page
      They should then appear on the home page every time you open Ancestry.

You can move the different sections of the home page up and down - so if you want the search facility at the top then click the up arrow top right of Search facility box. (The default when I switched on was my Ancestry tree at the top.)
      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 10-12-08, 19:14.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Margaret but it's not there.
        Elaine, I think I'm going mad!!
        When I found the Uk BMD it sent me to the USA site which then says I'm not a member.
        The census is as bad. if you look at the 1871 and then want to look at the 1881 you have to go through the whole process again.
        Off to try your helpful hints, many thanks.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Oh, thank goodness,it's worked. I had looked at the record collection in the customize bit but thought it said USA.
          Many thanks once again Elaine.
          What with Gr. and ancestry change must be in the stars!!
          Searching for:

Comment

What a pain. I'm really not computer illiterate, but I still can't fathom it out.

If you choose Record Collections, it says UK censuses, but it only gives you the English ones. What was wrong with the previous front page that had a nice convenient link to the Welsh and Scottish ones too? I can't find any way of getting the .uk front page back to how it was before.

I've tried again with the .au front page, and it's even worse. The Record Collections now include Jewish records, which are no use to me, and I can't work out how to delete the link and replace it with something else.

Comment

Mary, the easiest way that I have found to add a quick link to all UK census - which includes Scottish and Welsh - is to add it as a quick link.

On the home page there is a box on the right "My Quick Links"
              Click on add link and add the following url
              UK Census Collection - Ancestry.co.uk
              Layout not quite the same as you had on the previous home page but at least all the different censuses are available.
              Elaine

Comment

Yes, I was just coming to the conclusion that that seems to be the only way to do it. It was so much simpler before, though. I really can't see any benefits to the new system.

Comment

lol! Thanks for your help, Elaine. I've loaded up that quick link as you suggested and it works, but now it's as many clicks as before, so I don't understand how that is better?

Comment

Well I suppose everything is on the home page, or can be accessed from the home page.
                    Why do they try to fix things which worked OK in the first place! :(
                    Elaine

Comment

You can move the different sections of the home page up and down - so if you want the search facility at the top then click the up arrow top right of Search facility box. (The default when I switched on was my Ancestry tree at the top.)
                      I want to do this, but I don't have any arrows - any ideas??

Comment

I think they must be still playing with it because my arrows that were there earlier have now disappeared! :D:D
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          I think they must be still playing with it because my arrows that were there earlier have now disappeared! :D:D
                          :( :(

Comment

pmsl! what's the 1891 census doing on this list?????

New records on Ancestry.co.uk
                            UK Medical Registers, 1859-1959
                            British Commonwealth War Graves Registers, 1914-1918
                            UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
                            1891 England Census
                            British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
                            England, The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918
                            UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
                            Walch's Tasmanian Almanac, 1863-1904

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                              pmsl! what's the 1891 census doing on this list?????
                              There was a recent update to it.

...and please donĀ“t ask me what! :D:D
                              Elaine

Comment

My arrows are still there.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Stop showing off, Wendy!!! :D

I don't have any arrows!!

Comment

I lied!! I hadn't clicked "Customise your home page"!!

Comment

Sorry but I've still got mine.:(:o
                                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Can we have some then Wendy!

Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X