GRO service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO service

Have had cause to order 13 death certs in the last couple of weeks,the last 2 were ordered on the 5th december and arrived this AM.With them was a GRO customer survey and reply paid envelope, question 12 being"what do you believe we can do better".
    Personally I am quite happy with the service I receive from them, but I wonder if you have any suggestions for this survey?

Regards Tony

Stop folding the certs!

Comment

I agree with you Mary but as the post office now charge more money for larger envelopes it will be passed on to us. The post office charge a few pence more but I bet it will go up by 50p if GRO increase the price to 'round the amount up'

Lin
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

There is one improvement they could make on the website - when you order more than one cert, you have to go to the page that gives your personal details every time you enter the details of another cert. Some of the details are saved automatically, but you have to enter the postcode and phone number every time. Couldn't the program take us to that page immediately before the payment page, so we only see it once?

The other major improvement they could make is to answer e-mails more quickly. It usually takes them about 4 days.

Apart from that, it's a pretty good service.

Comment

Some of the details are saved automatically, but you have to enter the postcode and phone number every time.
          Oooh, I've never had to do that!

Comment

Neither have I. Also I agree re: the folding I have suggested, in a survey I did a while ago, that they offer the non-folded option at extra cost to those of us who want. I don't mind paying a bit more if that's what it takes.
            Margaret

Comment

The GRO produce approaching 2,000,000 certs per year (over 35,000 a week), including running a 24 hour a day service four nights a week, so I should think their systems are highly automated. The amount of expense incurred to outsort the certs to be sent in a larger envelope might be rather a lot compared to the extra postage cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                Oooh, I've never had to do that!
                Perhaps it's because I'm not in the UK, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  ...you have to go to the page that gives your personal details every time you enter the details of another cert. Some of the details are saved automatically, but you have to enter the postcode and phone number every time.
                  Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  Perhaps it's because I'm not in the UK, then.
                  All the details on my Personal Details page are saved automatically. I never have to refresh them.
                  Elaine

Comment

Well I think they are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I order a cert and it is in my mailbox about 10-14 days later in Australia. Costs me about $16. (7 pounds).

I order one from Qld.....costs $26 and takes about 6-8 WEEKS to travel the 25kms to my mailbox.

I have to send the order in to Qld...no online ordering.
                    Even the NSW online ordering requires the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      The amount of expense incurred to outsort the certs to be sent in a larger envelope might be rather a lot compared to the extra postage cost.

Oh Merry, where is your imagination, just think of all those folks who are to be shifted from claiming benefits of one kind or another and moved into the workplace, there must be an oppurtunity to move a few hundred across stuffing A4 envelopes, de-creased certs and decreased unemployment claims :D:D

Are certs are subject to VAT? If so have they reduced the price accordingly?
                      If not why not? The price difference would just about cover the extra A4 postage wouldn't it?
                      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 10-12-08, 20:29.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I never understand all this fuss about the folded certs. It's not like they are originals.
                        Has anyone got an original certificate (even their own birth/marriage) that isn't/hasn't been folded?
                        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                          Oh Merry, where is your imagination, just think of all those folks who are to be shifted from claiming benefits of one kind or another and moved into the workplace, there must be an oppurtunity to move a few hundred across stuffing A4 envelopes, de-creased certs and decreased unemployment claims :D:D
                          I think that is a little unfair, and, dare I say, patronising, Glen - there is a myriad of reasons why people claim benefit - I'm sure many of our members claim benefits - I know I did about two years ago...
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                            I think that is a little unfair, and, dare I say, patronising, Glen - there is a myriad of reasons why people claim benefit - I'm sure many of our members claim benefits - I know I did about two years ago...

I was having a dig at the new proposals being brought in, at a time when the job market is shrinking and unemployment rising due to recession,then the plans to force folks to work or lose benefits means this is just the sort of hairbrained idea that the powers that be will use to shuffle the numbers of claimants around.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

In which case I apologise unreservedly, Glen.
                              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Smith Too View Post
                                I never understand all this fuss about the folded certs. It's not like they are originals.
                                Has anyone got an original certificate (even their own birth/marriage) that isn't/hasn't been folded?
                                I've got lots of originals and, yes, they are all creased/folded! I certainly wouldn't want to pay ore just for a cert to be in an A4 envelope. I hardly ever look at them again after the day they arrive - I scan them and then always look at the scanned copy.

Glen - the last thing they would do is employ more people! I worked in offices for 20 years - thousands of hours of unpaid overtime - it was normal to work 10 hours without stopping. One exceptional time I started work at 8am and finished at 2am the following day without any food in between!! I wonder what it's like to work at Southport?

Comment

Absolutely no idea what it's like to work there Merry. It's a government run premises so i would guess there are huge differences between the different sections in terms of employment conditions and workload.

Doubtless there are masses of expense thrown at IT resources, some of which never end up implemented and lots of graphs posted everywhere giving the latest performance indicators/service levels.

It would be interesting to know just how much it costs in real terms to store,collate and process cert orders and how the income to expenditure costs compare.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Well, the suggestions I have put on the survey are,
                                    MMN on all births not just post amj 1911
                                    Age at death on all registered.
                                    Surname of partner on all marriages.
                                    I live in hope!!

Comment

The suggestion I made on the survey was that if someone gives incorrect details for a cert they shouldn't just guess which one they should send!

Comment

I suggested they complete the Dove project. I think we should be able to access historical certs say over 100 years old, online, on an online system like in Scotland. I know it would require a law change, but worth doing it. It would surely free up their staff from genealogical enquiries, and keep us very happy in the bargain.

Comment

Working...
                                        X