census puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census puzzle

When Esther Hughes married in 1859(b.abt.1838) she gave her age as 21,and her father as Robert,a shoemaker.She was married in Liverpool.I cannot find any trace of her after her marriage,so I have been trying to find her on the 1841 and 1851 so that I can find out where she came from and her mother's first name.
    I have bought some credits on Ancestry,but can't find her.
    I have entered Esther Hughes with father Robert and in the 1851 census found three in England;born 1820,1843(Liverpool),1850.Three in Wales;1836,1848,1832.Out of these I suppose three are possibles,(1843 Liverpool,1836 Anglesey and 1832 Anglesey)but I am nearly out of credits.
    Would somebody very kind please check for me to see if she could be one of the above?
    If it is unlikely that one of these is not her,what do I do then?
    Thank you in advance.
    Fran

What was the name and age of her husband?
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      What was the name and age of her husband?
      It's Milton Doland Elaine

Comment

yep - just found it on Lancs BMD :o
        You think that would be a nice easy name to find in the census! :(
        Elaine

Comment

We've struggled with him before! He had a child a long time after his death I think!!

Comment

He died in 1860.He was born 1826

Comment

Just checking your other thread about this family and on there you say that Esther's father was Robert, occupation farmer.

On the first post of this thread you give his name as Robert, occupation shoemaker.

Which is correct?
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 10-12-08, 12:14.
              Elaine

Comment

Robert, occupation farmer.
                There's one on Anglesey that fits "farmer" in 1851 with dau Esther aged 15.

Comment

Oh dear! So sorry folks.Gave the certificate to my friend whose family it is.Thought I had remembered! It should be farmer.

Comment

Esther is usually a hard name to follow in censuses as it so often appears as Hester, Easter etc.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                      Esther is usually a hard name to follow in censuses as it so often appears as Hester, Easter etc.
                      I've tried some searches on Find My Past as you can do variable spellings for the forenames. The results gave Esther, Ester and Easter .....I'll just try Hester and variables......

Right, that turned up one Hester, but her father is probably John. (I have to do this on the 1841 unfortunately as the 1851 isn't yet complete on FMP)

So, is she the Anglesey one?

Comment

Robert Hughes head m 56 farmer of 12 acres of land b Llangefni, Anglesea
                        Catharine Hughes wife m 43 b Caernarvonshire (can't read place)
                        Catharine Hughes 17
                        Esther Hughes 15
                        Richard Hughes 12
                        Jane Hughes 5

All the daus are born Llangefni, Anglesea

HO107; Piece: 2520; Folio: 48; Page: 11

Comment

I think that must be her in Anglesey.If I hadn't been such a fool I wouldn't have wasted your time.Thank you so much.Now I must find her in 1861!
                          Fran

Comment

If you give us the details of who she married, we might be able to help you look. Though of course lots of bits of the 1861 census are missing.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

She married Milton Doland in 1859,he died 1860.Daughter May gave her year of birth abt 1866 when she married.so she made herself younger than husband,or was not Milton's daughter.According to marriage and death certs.Milton was seaman.According to May's marriage cert.he was John Milton Doland and a Master Mariner.I have heard that Esther boarded May out to a family in either Garston or Gateacre when she was young.
                              Grateful for any help.
                              Fran

Comment

Oh o.k., I remember them now!
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Milton Doland only appears on Ancestry in the marriage index, so either he was persistently mistranscribed in censuses OR the marriage index is wrong.
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Can't find May Doland either, though there is a May Dolland (two ls) marriage in 1890 in Liverpool.

Comment

Nell, if I remember rightly, Milton was American and was only in England long enough to get married?
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

IGI has a Milton Doland born 1826 in New York who married Esther Hughes. Perhaps he came over to England after 1851 (thus avoiding 1841 and 1851 censuses) and then helpfully died before 1861.

Comment

Working...
                                        X