Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR site changes

So it says on their General board:

We are making some big changes to give the site a new look and introduce some new features! We expect this take to place tomorrow morning at around 7am GMT.

We hope you enjoy the new-look site!

Wonder what the changes are?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I'm hoping they reprogram the hot match feature so they don't tell me about Joe Bloggs born in Australia is a match to my Joe Bloggs born Hampshire. If the input boxes had a different field for county then maybe they could provide actual hot matches and I would not spend a hour going delete delete delete.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I expect it will be a new and pretty home page.

OC

Comment

OOOH! LOL!

Just dipped in...there IS a new-look Home Page and it is AWFUL!!! Perhaps they are just playing at the mo and the real thing will be revealed at 7.am???

OC

Comment

Ah Blow.............mine looks just the same as always.....

Comment

It looks much much better .... I prefer the layout for the advanced home page and navigation of the forms is a vast improvement. Haven't explored the rest yet.

Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have just been into my account on GR and ALL the contacts I have made have been given access to my tree.

I am going to delete it if I can work out how! :(

Update: If it says "allow" next to the contact's name then you click it to allow access (as Maggie has said in following post).
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 10-12-08, 07:15.
              Elaine

Comment

Yes much better - less of a muddle generally . But the forum layout is a bit unclear and smaller. They need to distinguish users' names, thread titles and clickable links from the general text.

Edit to say: That hasn't happened to mine - its says Allow and that means that they can't access unless you click that, if it says Stop it means they have and to stop them you click that. But I don't worry about GR because I don't have much of my tree on there - only three names...
                Last edited by Guest; 10-12-08, 07:01.

Comment

I like the colours-contrast nicely
                  Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    I have just been into my account on GR and ALL the contacts I have made have been given access to my tree.

I am going to delete it if I can work out how! :(
                    Thanks for the warning, Elaine - off to check mine now
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Well I have deleted it although you get a message saying "Your tree has been set for deletion. This will be done as soon as possible."

I hope they make it quick! :(
                      Elaine

Comment

I have just looked at it................it's pretty good............however :-

The Forum's are all located on the right side of the screen, so why are they not more towards the middle............that's a bit odd on the eyes and also a waste of space.

I also think that there shoudl be clearer breaks between people's postings, so you can read them clearly and also see the author of each post.

Other than that - rather good.

No point getting worked up about it, the changes have happened and that's that !

Comment

The Contacts : 'allow and stop' words..............ahhhhh, that'll cause some fun !

If it says STOP - then that means the other person already has access to your tree

If it says ALLOW - then that means there is presently no access to your tree.
                          Last edited by Simon in Bucks; 10-12-08, 07:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
                            The contacts 'allow and stop' words..............ahhhhh, that'll cause some fun !

I think it already as.

Comment

The contacts 'allow and stop' words..............ahhhhh, that'll cause some fun !
                              That certainly will.
                              Does the word "allow" showing mean that you have given access - or do you click it to allow access?

I haven't waited around to find out - have deleted my tree until I am sure!
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                That certainly will.
                                Does the word "allow" showing mean that you have given access - or do you click it to allow access?

I haven't waited around to find out - have deleted my tree until I am sure!
                                Read my post on the the first page of this thread.

Comment

Oops sorry Maggie. Didn't see that. :o
                                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Maggie -

Got it now!

"Allow" means the contact doesn't have access and "stop" means that the contact does have access - I think!

How incredibly confusing
                                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

The Forum's are all located on the right side of the screen, so why are they not more towards the middle............that's a bit odd on the eyes and also a waste of space.

Is this to accomodate the adverts. I don't get any as Norton blocks them.

Comment

As far as I know, that Allow / Stop thing is the same as it was before the changes.
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X