WW1 Death cert???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Death cert???

Sorry, I'm being incredibly thick here and can't think how to go about obtaining one :o

Help! :D

Find My Past has them listed under Overseas Deaths.

They tend not to be very helpful in the way of info given. I have two one says France and the other Belgium for place of death and cause of death is War Casualty in both cases.

Comment

Look on the overseas indexes on findmypast (military section) to get the references, then go onto the GRO site to order certificates and select Overseas Deaths.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Is there anywhere which provides the indexes for free please? Then presumably I order via the GRO as normal?

This man is down in the WW1 records as being killed in action. Yesterday a very kind member of the Great War Forum sent me a copy of his battalion's war diaries which shows that they were away from the front line training on the day he died, with no reports of casualties

However, where he's buried is near to what was a large military hospital, so it could be that he actually did 'die of wounds', although 'killed in action' was put on the 'Soldiers who died in the Great War' lists, but there again would the same mistake be made on his death cert????

It's turning into one of those mysteries I just can't leave alone...

Comment

The overseas indexes were "free" on Family Relatives but only if you had some credits on there - not sure if that's still the case but you might just have to buy some credits for findmypast if you don't have any for Family Relatives. Oh, or they might be on the Genealogist, but again, you would need a sub or credits. I'm not even sure where you would look at the microfilm or microfiche of the overseas indexes now.
          KiteRunner

Comment

OK, thanks Kite

Comment

How very strange...

After subscribing etc to FMP, I can't find him listed :o

His name is Charles William Guilford (sometimes spelt Guildford) and he died on 21st January 1918.

Can anyone else find him please???

Here's his headstone in Belgium -

Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 09-12-08, 11:22.

Comment

Hiya

I've just had a look on Family Relatives but i could'nt find him - sorry.

I am still able to look at the overseas section for free :D
                Jacky

Comment

This is becoming bizarre

Have I uncovered something mysterious here, or is it a catalogue of errors??...

Comment

Velma - I see from the CWGC site that his no. is S32112

There is an entry for Horace W Guilford on FMP - died 1918 - no. S32112
                    I wonder if he is your man?
                    Elaine

Comment

Is it me or does the dates on the stone look to be added on.....the other stones writing look the same depth but the dates on your mans seem not as deep cut as the rest of it.......may just be the light....
                      Jacky

Comment

That's definitely his number Elaine.

So, he was recorded as Horace, no wonder I couldn't find him!! :D

I'll look for that entry now, and I'll also look on Ancestry to see if there's anything under this name.

Bizarre! :D

Comment

The plot thickens...

I've been searching under the various military records on Ancestry, and whilst I can't find a 'Horace' Guilford which could be mine, I've found two other servicemen who share Charles' number S/32112

So, it's hardly unique to him, but least I didn't find that it belonged to Horace! :D

I'll order the death cert and see what it comes back with...

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                            Is it me or does the dates on the stone look to be added on.....the other stones writing look the same depth but the dates on your mans seem not as deep cut as the rest of it.......may just be the light....
                            Hmmm, I see what you're saying. The third and forth lines are more shallow then the top two...

I wonder if that was the intention??

However, it's in incredibly good condition being that it's 90 years old and I'm wondering if it's been part of the ongoing work of restoration by the CWGC??

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                              The plot thickens...

I've been searching under the various military records on Ancestry, and whilst I can't find a 'Horace' Guilford which could be mine, I've found two other servicemen who share Charles' number S/32112

So, it's hardly unique to him, but least I didn't find that it belonged to Horace!
                              It's quite usual to find the same number was used for several servicemen in WW1.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

I wonder if it is a mistake in the GRO index - they merged the entries for Horace William Guildford and Charles William Guilford together? There is a Horace William Guildford who died 12/10/1917, a Private in the East Surrey Regt., number 33333. Let's hope they send you the right certificate!
                                KiteRunner

Comment

But looking at the medal index cards, etc., that Horace William Guildford 33333 (from the CWGC) was just called William on most records!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Well, I've ordered the death certificate and typed Charles William in the name box but in brackets (Horace in Index?). Let's see what I get...

Despatch is down for next Monday (15th), so don't have to wait too long...

Comment

Velma when the cert comes will you let us know if he was KIA. I've got the same problem, my great grandfather was KIA as per CWGC. Doesn't look like his records survived so i've just got the war diary but there's nothing for the date he died re casualties. Several other dates list casualties many by name for officers & other ranks so i'm wondering if he was KIA or not.

Cheers

Jay
                                      Jay

Comment

Will do Jay

Comment

Working...
                                        X