opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions please

i have suddenly got a bit of interest in my tree again and have dived into my pile of un-filed print outs. I've re-visited something i half thought about over a year ago and would love your opinions please.

my grt grt grandfather was illegitimate and his lovely mother also had a daughter out of wedlock. on the 1881 census she is shown as Caroline A Adams and is 3yrs old. Her mother is ALice adams who at this time and finally got married to a Henry Harrington (they are in Romford/Chemlsford area of Essex) I would love to try and trace Caroline forward as my nan never knew that her beloved grandfather was illegitimate or that he had any siblings. I am quite drawn to caroline as she was also illegitimate and might possible have had the same father as my grt grt grandfather (i know it's a far wished theory).

Well i have had some trouble finding caroline further forward but i did (sometime ago) buy a marriage cert for a Annie Caroline Adams, married 27/5/1905 aged 27. She is living in Romford and is married there and her father is shown as Henry Adams. I have tried to find her under this name on the 1901 census but am having a bit of trouble, i think i must be out of practice! I think this might be my girl. Her brother had also moved to Romford and my nan was born there and married in the same church. Whilst Annie's father is down as Henry Adams, i think that this could be explained by her mother marrying a Henry and for the sake of apparence's at the church gave him the same surname.

I dont have carolines birth cert and will be purchasing that as soon as possible. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
    Queenbee

Is that her on the 1891 listed as Annie C Adams aged 13 b Chelmsford?

Comment

quite probably. let me just double check - i'm soooooo out of pratice at this!!
      Queenbee

Comment

And then here in 1901:

RG13; Piece: 1649; Folio: 94; Page: 27

(Annie C Adams)

Comment

Who did she marry?

Comment

oh why did they put the girls into service so young. if they could just be on 2 cenus with their parents it would help enormously!!

She married Harry Moules, 24 from hornchurch, father Henry William Moules - which in itself is very interesting as on another branch i have a HUGE moules/mole family. both bits are on my maternal line, in fact both bits are on my mums maternal line and they are from the same area but i can't make harry or henry fit with everyone else yet
            Queenbee

Comment

thats definatly annie in 1891 and 1901, and i love that she is working in hornchurch in 1891 as thats where are future beau comes from. now the big question is do we think she is caroline??
              Queenbee

Comment

I do! I can't see an Ann* b Chelmsford in 1881.

I have a lot of Moules on my tree, but they are all in the singular - Moule! lol

Comment

i think i agree with you Merry. There is a bit too much similar for it not to be. i know that Adams is a common name, but in the couple of villages my lot come from there were only 2 Adams familys - and i suspect if i go back far enough they'll be related!!

excellent. now i'll get her birth cert and hope that has some revelations regarding her real father!! lol
                  Queenbee

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    I do! I can't see an Ann* b Chelmsford in 1881.

I have a lot of Moules on my tree, but they are all in the singular - Moule! lol
                    i assume you mean you're looking on the 1881 for ann* as she was born 1878!
                    Queenbee

Comment

Unless her mother was pretending to be MRS Alice Adams then I don't think you are going to find a father's name on the birth cert. If there was one ad the mum confessed to being unmarried, then there should be two birth references for the same cert; one in the name Adams and one in the father's name.

Comment

Originally posted by queenbee View Post
                        i assume you mean you're looking on the 1881 for ann* as she was born 1878!
                        Yes, that's what I meant!

Comment

Working...
                        X