Breconshire or Montgomeryshire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breconshire or Montgomeryshire?

Hi my name is Dan,i just want to introduce my self to you.
    I live in the North East of England,My nan is researching the families roots
    and has asked me to help her.We are looking for Catherine Watkin brn 1824
    in Llanfechan,her fathers name was David,he was a farmer.I have been in touch with Rev'd Haynes in Llanfechen, who sent me all the parish records she could find on the Watkin family,they were not the family we were looking for.
    We have just discovered there is a Llanfechan in Montgomeryshire, so we are confused as to which county she came from.Can anyone give us advice on how to find them without having to look through every parish in both counties,on the 1841 census.
    Kind regards Dan.

There is a David Watkin listed on the 1841 census, living in Llanfechan, Montgomeryshire - occupation Ag.Lab.

Family listed as
    David Watkin c1785
    Mary Ann Watkin c1781
    Eliza Watkin c1824

- but no Catherine listed.

Do you know if Catherine married - if so have you found her on a later census which should give county of birth?
    Elaine

Comment

Did Catherine have a child who is also your ancestor? It might be easier to find that person on the census first. A lot of Welsh 1841 and 1851 census is missing. :o

Comment

has anyone thought that eliza and catherine are one person? she could have had a middle name of catherine?

Comment

Hi,Catherine married Thomas Goadsby in West Derby in 1852.I have a copy of her marriage cert and her son Thomas's birth cert.I want to find out more about the Watkin
          family.I have searched the 1841 census and couldn't find them.
          Thanks for your help,brickwall i think.

Comment

Hi,on all the census she is named Catherine.Thanks for your help.
            Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by danb View Post
              We have just discovered there is a Llanfechan in Montgomeryshire, so we are confused as to which county she came from.:
              On the 1881 census she gives her place of birth as Llanfechan, Montgomeryshire.

Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate?
              Elaine

Comment

Hi,Catherine and her family may have moved to Shropshire.On one of the census she gave Shropshire as her place of birth.On all the other census she put Wales or Llanfechan.She lived in York most of her married life.I looked at the1841 1851 census for Shropshire but had no luck.Thanks for your help.
                Dan.

Comment

Hi,Jane Goadsby+James Chadwick.

Comment

Hi Dan,

In 1841 there is a Catherine Watkins, (as transcribed by Ancestry) in Llanfyllin Montgomeryshire which is about 3 miles from Llanfechan. She is listed as a female servant.

HO107; Piece 1435; Folio 6; Page 6

This area is on the Shropshire, Montgomeryshire border which has changed several times over throughout the last few hundred years which explains the confusion a little.
                    Unfortunately the parish records for this area are not here at the Shropshire Archives, so I cannot look any further for you.

I'll see if I can find a likely father David though
                    Allie
                    Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Hello, I have just found your thread on this website. Catherine Watkin and Thomas Goadsby were my Grt, Grt, Grt Grandparents. I can tell you that Catherine is buried in York Cemetry. The headstone on the grave does not have her name on it. The grave plot was bought by her son-in-law and her daughter is buried in this grave too but Thomas is not. There are 5 people buried in the grave.

Comment

Hi,so pleased you have made contact with me.My nan has been researching her family
                        lines for many years.She wants to find out about Catherine's family in Wales.My nans
                        grandmother was Valentine Goadsby,she was named after her.Catherine's son Thomas
                        married Mary Hewitt, also from York they ended there days in Darlington county Durham.
                        If you have any info on the Watkin family my nan would be so pleased.
                        Kindest regards Dan.

Comment

Hi,i gave my nan the info on the five people buried in the York grave.
                          She thinks it could be Frederick,Alfred,Sophia and Sophia's husband.
                          Frederick and Alfred were twins they were born in 1860 and died in 1861.Sophia died in 1884,they all ended there days in York.They also had a daughter named Emily, she was born on 1 Jan 1855, she died in June 1855 in Everton.
                          Regards Dan.

Comment

Hi, sadly only Catherine and Sophia are the only people in the grave I know. Alfred and Frederick are buried in a mass grave else where in the cemetery. The other people buried in the grave are: Arthur Graham, William Buck, Amelia Torr and John Torr.
                            Do you have any pictures of Valentine Goadsby or her brothers or sisters. I would love to see what they looked like.
                            I did not know that Catherine and Thomas had another daughter - were they living in Everton when she died?
                            Regards Julie

Comment

Hi,Valentine was Catherine's granddaughter.Her son Thomas and Mary Hewitt were
                              her parents.Valentine died when my greatgrandfather was just a toddler.His father
                              remarried but it was the evil stepmother senario.His father died when he was 14 and he and his brother were left to get on with life on there own.
                              My nan has only ever known her mums family, her dad never spoke of his upbringing.
                              He only spoke of his past when she started researching the family lines.
                              He spoke of his aunty Gerty Goadsby who helped him from time to time.He also had an aunt Laura who married a Chapman.
                              Valentine is buried with Gerty in Darlington, there was a headstone but for whatever reason it went missing.We were hoping you would have photo's of the family as my nan
                              has nothing on them other than her research.
                              When she got the copy of Valentine's birth cert her sex was given as male,we can only assume this was an error by the registrar.
                              Regards Dan.

Comment

Hi, as you know Valentine was one of 6 children. Her eldest brother Thomas was my great grandad - I have pictures of him and his wife Gertrude. Their other brother Henry died aged 2 on 1st Nov 1893. He is buried in North Road Cemetery in Darlington in an unmarked grave. Their sister May died when she was 3 on 6th June 1899. She is buried in Talke Cemetery in Staffs. Do you know which graveyard Valentine and Gerty are buried in?
                                I may have some photos of them but my Mam and Nana from the Goadsby side have died. Also did you know that my great grandad was Goadsby-Hewitt and when he had children the surname became Hewitt and the Goadsby was dropped - why we do not know and probably never will. If you can describe any of the Goadsby family I wil look at the photos to see if they are on them.

Comment

Hi,my nan tried to send you a message but they wouldn't allow it.
                                  So i will relay the info on to you.
                                  Valentine and Gerty are also buried in North road cemetery.My nan knows of Henry,he died the year Valentine was born.
                                  She hasn't a clue as to what the Goadby's look like,but her dad who is still living was a very handsome man in his youth.
                                  She would love to see the photo's, her dad may know some of the family.
                                  She to has a mystery that may never be solved.As i have already told you on Valentine's birth cert it states she is male.On the census returns both Gerty and Valentine are stated as males.My nan thinks the name Valentine was thought of as a boys name in those days, an understandable error.The mystery is why the two girls were classed as male on the census.
                                  My nan also has copies of Valentine's marriage and death certs no errors on them.
                                  Her dad told her Gerty was in the salvation army,she also made the best rice pudding he has ever tasted,ironic that he has no photo's or anything else of his maternal or paternal family.
                                  The mystery of Valentine may never be solved but my nan has her own thoughts on the subject.
                                  Regards Dan.

Comment

Hi, if you and your Nan want I have my family tree on Genes Reunited so you can always send me an email through there.
                                    Valentines mother is buried in that Graveyard too but again the headstone has gone. I am not sure where their father is buried. In the records that I have, which were written by my grt nana is said that he was buried in North Road cemetery but there is no record of it when I have been to Darlington library. I have also checked for the main cemetery too but he was not listed there either - another mystery. It also said that Catherine was buried with her husband Thomas in York cemetery but he wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                    X