Index of Sea captains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index of Sea captains

I came across this by accident while googling. It's a series of PDF files of the index (not yet completely scanned) of sea-captains registerd at Lloyds Register of Shipping during the second half of the 19th. century. The Registers are held at the Guildhall Library in London. I've found most of my sea-captains listed.

I did have a look in the WIKI and it doesn't appear to have got there yet.

Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section - Lloyd's Captains Registers: Introductory Note
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Oh that's fab, thanks UJ!! I've found about eight relatives straight off!!

Comment

So who's going to volunteer for a week's transcribing then??

Comment

Just my luck. No G's and no W's yet. :(Will they come online before I get to the Guildhall the end of January!

Janet

Comment

Just had a quick look as I thought I remembered adding it and the link is in The Wiiki - on the Maritime page under General Links (third one down).

Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I must admit I didn't do an exhaustive search, and I probably looked in the wrong section!

Comment

Thanks Uncle John - Just found one of my husband's relatives on the list, he died at sea but I forget the details, now I must find out more.
              Many thanks.
              herky.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

This has 4 brothers - one of them a direct ancestor of my wife - thanks!
                Kind regards,
                William
                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thank you! I found three too.
                  Jenny

Comment

Sea captain list

I have just had a look at this index and can't find my gg grandfather (I would have expected to find him there).
                    His name was Alfred Barker b. 1860 went to sea at 15 (first or second mate's ticket - not sure which) and I believe he eventually became a captain. Why would he not be there? Disappointed! :(
                    OLD SALIAN

Researching:
                    Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
                    Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
                    Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
                    Oakes - Liverpool
                    Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

Comment

No didn't find my Peter Mitchell either - mind you only references I've found to his sea going career both involve ships sinking!!!:(:( he drowned in 1876 with the last one.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Bad luck! Mine didn't sink, but I think my luck has lol!
                        OLD SALIAN

Researching:
                        Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
                        Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
                        Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
                        Oakes - Liverpool
                        Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

Comment

Thank you, UJ

That's very helpful. I've found some possibles.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                          X