Crossed out on passenger list...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossed out on passenger list...

... So, do I assume that they did not travel?

We had this discussion when the Incoming passenger lists to UK were first available from Ancestry - not sure if that is what you are looking at.
    I have a page where some of my ancestors were found and it seemed they crossed through the name of the head of the family who were travelling whilst adding up numbers - I cannot remember the exact details but I think the totals on the page showed the division between service personnel and normal travellers.
    Elaine

Comment

This is the page Velma
      - Ancestry.co.uk

- you can see the totals at the bottom of the page.

I don't think it meant they didn't travel.
      Elaine

Comment

OK thanks Elaine

... Although tying this in with the inbound passenger lists it suggests that she didn't...

Comment

There is the odd one or two who died before or on the voyage. They seem to be listed on the left-hand page with the births at sea.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No this one was very much alive until she died in 1961...

Comment

I have on of these too - and he also didn't die on the voyage, and the passenger numbers tally with him travelling. Maybe they forgot to amend the numbers??
              Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking that Sally...they worked out the totals THEN the passenger cancelled. I think I will email Ancestry to get their answer.

My lady was crossed out on a list in July 1940 on a voyage from London to Sydney and again in September for a Liverpool to Wellington NZ.

She travelled back and forth from Australia until 1950, and I've recently discovered her on the inbound passenger lists. These two are the only ones which don't correspond with an inbound journey.

Perhaps she planned to go back to Australia, but for some reason couldn't travel, then desperately tried by an alternative (long) route, but was fearful of u-boat attack, after all her husband was killed in WW1, so therefore cancelled. She is next down as sailing in 1946...

Comment

Working...
                X