1835 Admon Canterbury Prerogative Court - not on NA website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1835 Admon Canterbury Prerogative Court - not on NA website

I have just located the admon for OH's 3xgt grandfather Charles Blackshaw.
    He died intestate

It's definitely him, 1835, administrator Hannah (his widow) and address same as the address where she died in 1845.

I looked on the National Archives website, but only wills appear (Documents On Line). I have the reference - Vol 1 Folio 35

Where would I find the document? Would I have to go to the National Archives at Kew?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I have just answered my own question by phoning the National Archives - I need to go in person and access the document there. It isn't available on line.

I can see a trip to Kew in the New Year!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I wonder whether they will ever put them on Documents Online, or perhaps include them in the stuff that's going on The Genealogist website next year.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Elizabeth, it looks as if you have got just about all the details, anyway: all youd' get is name, date of admon (& I think date of death) address, name of administrator, poss their relationship & value of the estate.

I assume this info has never been put online because it was so limited, though it obviously can prove really useful.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Well, at least I have his approx. year of death, which I didn't know.

I'd like a definite date of death just to tidy up my records! (But I suppose I can now look for burials in the parish records for 1834 and 1835.)
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Where have you found the details, and do you have the month? Ican try to find it for you on Saturday, if you like?
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              Where have you found the details, and do you have the month? Ican try to find it for you on Saturday, if you like?
              Phoenix, what a kind offer.

I found it on Find My Past after a trawl through the death duty registers.

The year was 1835 and it was an Administration in Canterbury Prerogative Court.

Intestate:Blackshaw Chas. (Charles)
              Name and Residence of Administrators or Administratrix:
              Hanh (Hannah) Blackshaw 29 Plumbers Row Middlx
              (This is Upper Mile End, Stepney)
              Vol. 1 Folio 35

Please do your own research first - if you get around to this it would be great, but it can always wait until I get down there! I'm only an hour or so away.

Edit: Sorry, no month given, just the year.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Well, I have to say, it ain't very exciting!

Prob 6/211 p 174

Feb 1835
                Charles Blackshaw £100
                10th admin. .... of Charles Blackshaw, late of Plumbers Row, Commercial Road in the parish of Middlesex dec'd to Hannah Blackshaw, widow, relict.

I took a photo of the the microfilm on the screen if you'd like to see that.

There were about 6 separate books of admons for 1835 and Charles was in number 6!

Comment

Phoenix, sorry I didn't get back to you before, I have only just seen this.

Many thanks for looking this up, it confirms what I already know about his, but it's great to have another piece of evidence.

I'll pm you.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                  X