Paintings on rice paper help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintings on rice paper help please.

Would appreciate any help with information on these paintings.

They appear to be hand painted on rice paper and family oral history has them belonging to OH's great grandfather - Frederick Barker - who had a grocery store in Sydney and Parramatta in the 1880's. They apparently came in tea chests. Have no idea if this information is correct and have googled but so far, can't come up with any other examples.

Comment

Comment

Yvonne

Aren't they lovely!

Yes, I have heard of this before - the Victorian equivalent of collectors cards! They would have been ten a penny at the time, but are now quite valuable (£20-£100) depending on condition, and very collectable, as they are so decorative and usually very skilfully done.

OC

Comment

What lovely things to have!

Is it worth having a look at the V&A website? - I remember they had conservation info for Indian paintings on a material like glass.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you OC.
            Collectables makes sense as the boat one is made up of three panels so I guess you would have to wait to get the set! That is the only one we have making a complete picture.

Christine, what is the V & A website please? :o

Comment

Victoria & Albert Museum. It's such a mouthful that most folks opt for the initials!

Victoria and Albert Museum

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wow, how lovely, I would definitely seek advice from your nearest museum, I expect they need to be kept out of sunlight to keep the colours bright.

Comment

Sorry - couldn't get back on the net yesterday. Not sure if it is my computer mucking up or my server.

Will try that link thank you Christine.

I might have to get Hubby to talk to the museum people, Barbara

Well, managed to get onto the front page of the V&A website but can't load any other page! Will go and do some maintenance of my computer and hopefully come back later.
                  Last edited by Yvonne from Oz; 09-12-08, 20:58.

Comment

Just as a matter of general interest i have found these two reference sites telling a bit more about this style of art:

Ukiyo-e - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nishiki-e - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Working...
                    X