I can't find any of these people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't find any of these people

It may be my brains not working as I'm bunged up with the cold but I'm really struggling with this family.

Catharine Benson married George Alfred Hodson on 15 Sep 1815 at St Nicholas Bristol.

Bristol Records Office have checked the parish register and the licence bond for me, but they contradict each other.

Parish entry says they are both single
    Licence Bond says Catharine is a widow.
    George is a Music Master (which is the confirmation I was after that they are mine)
    Witnesses are W Battiscombe, E Battiscombe and P Benson.

From various references on Gale and google books I believe Catharine is the daughter of Robert Benson an actor/playwrite at the Theatre Royal Covent Garden who committed suicide in 1796.

Notices of his death and fundraisers afterwards give his [arents as the Bensons who ran Garraways Coffee House in at Change Alley, Cornhill London.
    His wife is Susannah Satchell

I have found a birth for another child Peter Robert Benson in Edinburgh in 1795 but obits and reports suggest there were 3 or 4 children.

So I have downloaded a few Wills but I just cannot find the Bensons anywhere.

Will of Thomas Benson written 1794
    (father of Robert Benson)
    names his wife Elizabeth Benson
    also Ann Collins of Werton Covells (???) in Cambridgeshire

Will of Thomas Benson of Garraways Coffee House 1824
    (brother to Robert Benson)

names:
    wife Anna Benson
    brother Charles Benson
    sister Hannah Coy wife of William Coy
    Unnamed Benson, wife of brother David Benson (for some reason he doesn't seem to know the name of his sister in law) and their children who are also unnamed
    Nephew John Robert Benson son of my late brother Robert Benson and Susannah his wife
    Niece Catherine Mary Hodson daughter of my late brother Robert Benson and Susannah his wife
    (at least I think it says Hodson - I'll post the image for opinions)

Please help, I've been going round in circles for hours getting nowhere

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Where are you trying to find them, Zoe?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think it says Hodson - but that may be because I want it to say Hodson

Zoe in London

Comment

The IGI has a christening for Catherine Maria Benson 13 Jun 1784 St Michael Cornhill, London, born 2 Jun 1784, parents Robert and Susannah. Have you already got that one?
        Last edited by KiteRunner; 07-12-08, 15:11. Reason: wrong name!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Where are you trying to find them, Zoe?
          IGI, Ancestry, A2A - anything that might give me a nugget of info to get another Will or trace forwards a bit.

I just want to expand the info a bit to help prove/disprove that Catherine Benson daughter of Robert is the same one who marries George Hodson. Or even just find more info on the other Benson siblings and see where that takes me

I'm intrigued by the woman from Cambridgeshire as well as it seems a bit random for what appears to be a London based family to leave money to someone there
          Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
            The IGI has a christening for Catherine Maria Benson 13 Jun 1784 St Michael Cornhill, London, born 2 Jun 1784, parents Robert and Susannah. Have you already got that one?
            Yes - sorry. There's an old thread somewhere with help I had on Catherine/Robert/Susannah - I'll find it and add the link
            Zoe in London

Comment

Yes, looks like Hodson to me.
              KiteRunner

Comment

If you can find a marriage for Peter Robert Benson then you would be able to compare his sig with the witness on Catherine's marriage.
                KiteRunner

Comment

previous thread:

Zoe in London

Comment

There is a marriage on the IGI between Ann Benson and Stephen Collin 29 Oct 1774 at Balsham, Cambridge, though of course it could just be a coincidence. *gets out map*
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, Balsham is very close indeed to Weston Colville, so I say no coincidence.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

I don't think that IGI baptism (Catherine Maria) is mentioned on your other thread, Zoe, unless I missed it on the way through.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

cheers Kate

Been distracted scouring cupboards for lemsip - you're doing much better than me though, I've got nowhere
                          Zoe in London

Comment

Lemsip ... yes, I think we have some of that in the bathroom cupboard....

Is this will (on TNA) anything to do with them? I think you said they were connected with Bath?

Will of Susanna Benson, Widow of Bath , Somerset 31 December 1824 PROB 11/1692
                            KiteRunner

Comment

I've downloaded it and I don't think it is.

Susannah Satchell/Benson died in 1814. It could be a late probate but she leaves money to lots of churches and seems to be connected with Canterbury
                              Zoe in London

Comment

"Werton Covells" is probably Weston Colville which is the next but one village to Balsham south east of Cambridge City.
                                Robert

Comment

It might be worth looking out for HOBSONs - just in case there are mistranscriptions - or name-variations - or even name changes.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                  X