X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria, Oz - new resource

This message has just appeared on the Sydney DPS:

Good Afternoon List,
    This message from the Victorian Goldfields List might be of interest.
    Sincerely,bill
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: "Goldfields List" <AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS@rootsweb.com>
    Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:41 AM
    Subject: VIC PRO INDEX ONLINE

> hi all,
    >
    > I don't know whether this has been widely advertised - haven't noticed
    > it - so I thought you may like to know that the Vic Public Records
    > Office have released for testing - a searchable online version of the
    > Vic Probate Index for 1841 to 1925 ...
    >
    > This is a wonderful development for historians and family researchers ..
    > the probate indexes generally contain the death date, occupation,
    > residence - often removing the need to purchase death certifcates -
    >
    > . but that is not all ...
    >
    > If the actual probate document is digitized then it appears possible to
    > access it as a PDF image - an option which has been available for some
    > time - but with the added benefit provided by the searchable index - an
    > invaluable addition to any serious researchers toolbox.
    >
    > here's the address:
    >
    >> Pre-Release Index to Wills, Probate and Administration Records 1841-1925
    >
    > Enjoy ... lets hope the site doesn't fall over due to popularity
    >
    > cheers
    > Robert
    >>
    > -------------------------------
    > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
    > AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe'
    > without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

-------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to DPS-SYDNEY-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

thanx so much!! i hate dsearching with the probate numbers. it makes it so much easier to just search by name!!

ive already found wills for two of my ancestors

Comment

I found two serious possabilities as well....no wonder I couldn't find their deaths in Tasmania.....they moved.

Comment

haha!! poor flashie!!

Comment

Fantastic! Thank you Christine - I've found quite a few

Comment

Thanks Christine. Off to search for OH's mob who were all in Victoria.

Comment

Question for everyone above. For the people you have found could you access the document or did you have to order and pay for it? I've found I can read the email 2 ways.

Thanks in advance.
              Kit

Comment

You have to order and pay for it....unfortunately.

Comment

Are you sure? I've got to a page that gives you a choice between ordering the document and reading it online, but if I choose to read it online nothing happens - do you have to register and log in?

Comment

Actually I am not sure if the information I gave in my last post is correct....I thought you could have them sent to you by ordering now I am not sure....so I wont say anything else...hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will come along and tell us.

Comment

Great site, but I've got 2 questions....

1) To whom commited.... are these just the administraters of the will, or the recipients of the dosh? I'm not sure whether to research their names, as they might be relatives.

2) two of the wills have 2 entries, with dates of administration/probate several years apart...why?
                      for instance I've got a death in 1881, then probate declared a few months after, then again 2 years later.

Anybody have any ideas please.
                      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Fantastic...I've just managed to access one of the wills, keep clicking until you can access a pdf version...it takes a while to open, but did eventually, and its a gem!!
                        ~ Louise ~

Comment

Did you have to log in to do that? I kept trying, but the pdf never arrived.

Comment

No, Mary didn't have to log on, but it is VERY slow :(
                            ~ Louise ~

Comment

well...lol... I have clicked on 'Find this file in our catalogue' as there is nothing else that I can click on!! and it loads about half way and thats it, after 10/15 mins it still hasn't moved!!! maybe it just sooooo busy because of the time ....Lilly

Comment

I found that it's great if you're reading a book or something... reminds me of computers years ago. I'd guess that the files are very high resolution.

I've looked at two or three, but found none of the ones I'd hoped for.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

to answer questions, yes the wills take ages to load. im guessing because its a pilot site, they didnt anticipate peoples interest.:D

ive found wills up to the 1880's have been digitised so far.

to whom commited means the the adminstrators of the will. in my cases, they are the person who inherited everything.

i believe you also need adobe version 8 or 9 to be able to view the digitised records.i dont have em and they wont let me view a will!! i really wanted to as well

Comment

How did you get to a pdf version?

If I get past find it in our catalogue it somes up Ordering Wills and Probate...what am I doing wrong?

It is driving me nuts.

Comment

Well I managed to see the will I was after...but I clicked so many buttons to do it I don't know if I could manage it again.

And it wasn't who I wanted.

Comment

I have found heaps my COLEs - Guy and George and Thomas C. I did not think they had left wills. I am going to see if I can load one now, as I have to go out, and see if has come up when I get home. Might try Guys, even though I know all about him.
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia
                                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                                        X