Article on Glasgow University website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Glasgow University website

I've just found an extract from a book, which refers to portraits painted around 1841 of my g-g-grandparents. All I have got by googling is the one page, which is Chapter 30 of the book.

I wonder if anyone has access to the Glasgow University website and can go back to discover who the artist was and the title of the book.

The url of the page is Chapter 30
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Retrospect of an Artist's Life Author: Hunter, John Kelso, a biography.
    Here's the intro.
    Scenes from an Artist's Life
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks very much, Phil. He's a bit verbose! And he doesn't say exactly when he painted the portraits. They might even still be around. My g-grandmother was the youngest of several children so I don't suppose she got them.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

you never know, uj!! my grandmother is a junior member of many wealthy families here in victoria, and she still managed to get quite a few heirlooms from each family, especially letters and photos.

she was at a distant cousins house one day when the cousin was about to throw out a box. grandma looked in it, and there were folders of photos , death cards, funeral sermons, and the thick, old photos from the 1880's.
        my grandma said she'd take 'em, and i currently have them on loan from her.

maybe ou can track the paintings down? were they ever in the museum?
        maybe you could contact them, they might have information, even if its more about the artist!!

Comment

Working...
        X