Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one earth your self?

When dealing with electornic componets?

wear an ESD wriststrap connected to an earthing point / grab a radiator / rest arms on chassis of pc while it is still connected to the mains (but not powered on)

https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

In a previous life at one time I was a Photocopier repairman and was sent on a course to learn the intricacies of a new machine. One of the other attendees at the Course was ex-Navy and he told us he was taught that whenever he worked on electrical items he should keep one hand in his pocket as that prevented him from accidentally touching two surfaces which could cause him to become part of a circuit.

I suppose in a similar way that a bird can land on and take off from a live electric rail without harm, but if it put one foot on the rail and one on the ground...."POOF"

I think that there is a wristband you can buy which you clip to the metal box of the 'puter when you are working inside it, but I accept no responsibility if following these ideas doesn't worrk!!
      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I had a quick google to see what was suggested. The first site I found suggested working naked...

OK if you're working at home

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
          In a previous life at one time I was a Photocopier repairman and was sent on a course to learn the intricacies of a new machine. One of the other attendees at the Course was ex-Navy and he told us he was taught that whenever he worked on electrical items he should keep one hand in his pocket as that prevented him from accidentally touching two surfaces which could cause him to become part of a circuit.

I suppose in a similar way that a bird can land on and take off from a live electric rail without harm, but if it put one foot on the rail and one on the ground...."POOF"

I think that there is a wristband you can buy which you clip to the metal box of the 'puter when you are working inside it, but I accept no responsibility if following these ideas doesn't worrk!!
          Indeed

Fortunately such voltages are not seen inside PC's so the chances of 'copping a charge' are very very low...

However, wearing an antistatic strap whilst working on photocopiers / laser printers / CRT monitors etc.. is considered somewhat foolhardy and could, in some cases, lead to 'half a day out with the undertaker'!!!!!
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
          X