Did 1st cousins marry???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did 1st cousins marry???

My cousin has just sent a couple of certs, one of them was a marriage between Frederick James Tomlinson aged 23 and Hannah Elizabeth Baxter aged 32, a widow, 1928 in Derby, father John Waring. now i know why i could never find her birth under Baxter

Frederick born 1905 (have cert) Derby was the son of Gertrude Tomlinson nee Fletcher

Gertrude had a sister Mary Ann Fletcher who married a John Waring and had a daughter Hannah Elizabeth born 1894 Derby

The only marriage i can find for Hannah Waring is to a Sydney Baxter is in Chorlton, which i think is in Lancashire in 1919

Sydney died in 1923 in Rochford Essex

Am i right in thinking this is the same Hannah Elizabeth Waring/Baxter ?

Were my lovely uncle and aunt (now both passed) 1st cousins. ?

Sylvia
    Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 03-12-08, 11:34.
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

It sounds very likely, but I suppose you need a bit more evidence to be certain. Does the occupation for John Waring on Hannah's marriage certificate match with what you have for the John who married Mary Ann? Do the witnesses on the marriage cert help at all?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kite, the witnesses are my aunt Ethel and her husband to be so no help

John Waring is a coal dealer in 1928 and i am haveing trouble reading the only census i have for him 1891 Derby
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Vitriol Refiner.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Not sure what one of those are ?

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Comment

Me neither, Sylvia! I'm just seeing if I can find him in 1901 to see what his occupation is then...
            KiteRunner

Comment

Isn't Vitriol another name for Sulphuric Acid?

I believe that 1st cousins is the closest consanguine marriage allowed by ecclesiastical and civil law.
              Last edited by Grampa Jim; 03-12-08, 11:55.
              Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Found him in 1901 and he is still a Vitriol Refiner, but of course he could have changed occupation by 1928.
                KiteRunner

Comment

The only thing i can find from google is something to do with petrol
                  Sylvia

Comment

Oh, you might want the full 1901 details:
                    74 William St., Derby
                    John Waring Head Wid 32 Vitriol Refiner Tutbury Derby
                    Frank Do Son 12 Derby
                    Gertrude Do Daur 8 Do
                    Hannah Do Daur 7 Do
                    Beatrice Do Daur 5 do
                    Martha Do Daur 3 Do
                    Selina Russon(?) Boarder 32 Housekeeper Do
                    Infant Do Daur of Do 9 days do

*refrains from commenting on possible relationship between John and Selina and parentage of "infant"*
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oil of Vitriol is an archaic name for sulphuric acid. I think it was a byproduct of the distillation of coal to make gas (school chemistry lessons circa 1958!!).

BTW I have a marriage of first cousins in living memory, though one of them was adopted, so not blood relatives.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Your right GJ, it did mention sulphuric acid and something to do with colour.

Kite.. thank you, he could have changed his occupation by then, he would have been 60, so may have fallen on harder times

Sylvia
                        Sylvia

Comment

Actually, vitriol refiner to coal dealer isn't much of a jump.

I have a set of ancestors who were coal merchants in the mid 1850s and by the 1900s were a huge chemical company,(eventually becoming ICI) having passed through gas manufacture and coke refinery on the way, and having attracted many fines for "noxious smells"!

OC

Comment

I suppose if you can find his death registration or the marriage for one of the other children it should hopefully say Coal Dealer and then you could tie it all together. I'm just looking to see if there are any WW1 records for Francis that might mention his father's occupation. Found his medal card but it doesn't help. Then there might be historical directories etc - if he stayed at William St maybe there will be enough info...
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, i see what you mean, Mary Ann died Sept Q 1899

Just looking to see if they married

Sylvia
                              Sylvia

Comment

Thank you for that OC, so could be the same man

Cannot find a marriage on Free BMD up til 1920 for John and Selina

Sylvia
                                Sylvia

Comment

There is a death reg for Selina Russon Jun 1923 Derby age 54, so I don't suppose they did get married. "Infant" was probably Louisa Russon whose birth was registered Jun 1901 Derby and she died Sep 1901 Derby age 0.

None of which helps find out whether your John Waring became a Coal Dealer!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

No it dosen`t, i wonder what 1911 will tell me, we are almost there. And from what OC said it seems a possibility, but going in reverse from her family.

Sylvia
                                    Sylvia

Comment

You seem a bit shocked that your relatives might have been first cousins. Don't be! It is a perfectly legal relationship.

My great grandparents were first cousins - their fathers were brothers - and it was sometimes mentioned in the family, with a little smile, so I guess its not terribly common.

The main problem comes with family history research because you are cheated out of a huge chunk of genealogy!!!

Anne

Comment

Marriage of cousins is particularly common where there's a desire to keep something in the family: assets / culture / religion. It also happens, of course, where geography limits access to alternative partners.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X