Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info re searching for gale and the Times archives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info re searching for gale and the Times archives.

Have just been into my local library and received this info.
    If you belong to any library in Cheshire go into
    Cheshire County Council - Libraries
    Then go into Virtual reference library
    You have to enter your library card number and then you can view quite a bit of info.
    If people contact their local libraries I am sure the same will be available.
    Happy hunting.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

My local council has given access to The Times for a few years. A couple of months back I emailed them asking if they were thinking of adding any further Gale services to the list of other things available? They said No, but they would investigate the possibility of adding the 19thC newspaper database.

Low and behold a week or so ago it suddenly appeared when I logged in with my library card number! A nice Christman present!! lol

Comment

I have access to Athens (and therefore Gale) through my university

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie with one n. View Post
        If people contact their local libraries I am sure the same will be available.

Jeanie, some local libraries provide this service and others don't. And in some places you actually have to use a computer in the library to access the databases.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Bedfordshire provides The Times and the Gale publications database but not the Gale newspapers.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

This has made me remember that I asked (on a 'suggestion' form) if Carlisle were going to get access......

I never even got a reply :(:(

They are usually a very good library so I must chase it up. Currently we do not have access to either the Times or the Gale 19C newspapers.

Anne

Comment

Ann - have you checked the website - looks as if you get access to the Gale newspaper database

Cumbria County Council : Libraries : Online Catalogues and Services : Online services
              Elaine

Comment

Aaaaarrrrrggghhh!!! :o:o

I'm covered with shame and embarrassment. I was waiting for some communication from them (they had my email!)

Yippee - you may not see me for some time!

Thanks Elaine

Anne

Comment

For those without the internet, our library charges £2 an hour to use it, and there are no online newspapers to search that I can find.

I do have access to the Bedford Library using my library card, but they have had to stop access to the Gale site.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh horror,
                    Whilst the Cheshire site gives you access to the Times their gale does not have the
                    19th C newspapers.
                    Now I had a link to that from the one posted on here some time ago but by joining Cheshire I have lost my link!! It keeps sending me to the Cheshire site.
                    Have managed to send it to husbands aged laptop but what an inconvenience since that is not connected to our printer and cannot send e-mails!!
                    If it's to be, it's up to me.
                    Searching for:
                    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                      For those without the internet, our library charges £2 an hour to use it, and there are no online newspapers to search that I can find.
                      That's a bit mean! I've never heard of a library charging for internet access before:(
                      Rose

Comment

Our local library charges non-members.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

I bet they join, so they don't have to pay next time lol.
                          Rose

Comment

They can't join if they don't live or work in the area, Rose - so if they are just passing through they don't have that option.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Ah, I never thought of that. Suppose it makes sense to charge a small fee in that case.
                              Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X