Legacy 7 - New Update (Nov. 28)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy 7 - New Update (Nov. 28)

Just a 'heads-up' for Legacy 7 users - the company has released a new update (free download) which fixes a number of problems and includes some new features (mainly new SourceWriter templates). See here for details and here to download. Note that this version will convert existing family files to a new format.

HTH -

Tim
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Thanks Tim - they really are extremely good this way (in fact I think they are very good in every way!!).
    The only thing I haven't worked out how to do yet is to make a single list of surnames in the tree so that duplicates don't show up (really I wanted to make a list of the surname and the county they came from to put it in a spreadsheet - I shall keep working on it - they seem to let you do most other things!)
    Marion
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
      The only thing I haven't worked out how to do yet is to make a single list of surnames in the tree so that duplicates don't show up (really I wanted to make a list of the surname and the county they came from to put it in a spreadsheet - I shall keep working on it - they seem to let you do most other things!)
      Marion
      Hi Marion,

I've never tried to make a surname list before, but you piqued my curiosity.

Go to the menu bar at the top of the Legacy window, click on 'View', then go to 'Master Lists' from the drop-down menu and click on 'Surname ...' in the secondary drop-down menu (it's easier than it sounds). This opens a new window called 'Master Surname List', which displays all of the unique surnames in your family file (and possibly surnames of people who have been deleted at some point).

From here, you have several choices. If you highlight a particular name (by clicking on it), you can choose 'Show List...' and it will display all individuals with that surname. If you have two similar names that you want to combine (e.g., Mc_Grath and McGrath), highlight one, click the button at the bottom of the window, then highlight the second name. The 'Options' button lets you tag or untag individuals with a particular name, combine duplicated names, purge names that are no longer used in the family file, as well as a few other things.

If you want to copy the surname list (e.g., to paste into another application), it seems to be a bit more complicated, but that may simply reflect my lack of knowledge. One way is to click 'Options', choose 'Print...' (which opens up a Print Preview window), and click on the 'Create PDF' button (there's also a 'Clipboard' button, but this seems to save the list as a graphic rather than as text). Once you've created a PDF and opened it with Acrobat Reader, you can then highlight the text, copy it, and paste it into your other application (e.g., Word).

The Legacy Help file on this topic seems to be quite good - just make sure you've picked the 'Index' tab, then type in "Surname, List" as the keyword.

I couldn't found a simple way to create a list of surnames which includes associated counties, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. However, in order for it to work, I think that your location names would have to structured in a consistent way (e.g., place, county, country), including commas where information is missing.

HTH -

Tim
      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks for that Tim - it's seems a bit long winded but it sort of works - but there seems no way to add where they came from - I am trying to remember which programme I used that allowed you to make a custom list and choose what you wanted to put in that list!! I have a funny feeling it may have been PAF!
        Never mind - we can't have everything in life and it does a lot more, and more simply, than many others, so I will stick!!
        Thanks for all of that - it is appreciated - at least I have a list of surnames now!!
        Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
          ... there seems no way to add where they came from - I am trying to remember which programme I used that allowed you to make a custom list and choose what you wanted to put in that list!! I have a funny feeling it may have been PAF!
          Hi again Marion,

You can make a customized list/report of individuals easily enough and include whatever you want in terms of facts/events for each person. The tricky part (if I understood your initial post correctly) would be to summarize which counties were associated with each surname.

If your database doesn't have too many individuals or you only want to check the most common surnames, then you could create a Search List (use Query by Example or Detailed Search) for each surname - which will list all individuals with that name - then print the list. Choosing 'Print...' in the Search List window brings up the Print Report Options window, where you can specify what information to print for each person use the Row tabs (choose Customize and then click on the '...' buttons for more options.)

Here's a simple example of what I mean:

If there aren't too many names, you can browse through a list like this fairly quickly and note which counties they lived in, then copy that onto your surname list.

Does this help at all?

Tim

Comment

Thanks again Tim, have just got back tonight so will try and have a look at that tomorrow when the brain is in gear again!!
            Marion

Comment

Another Legacy challenge

No problem, Marion - glad to help.

One thing that I haven't found a way to do in Legacy is produce a report which lists baptisms when the birth date is unrecorded. I realize that some individuals were baptized years after they were born, but in the majority of cases the two events occurred within a few weeks of each other. When one has ages in the census (or on a marriage or death cert) which are consistent with the date given for the baptism, but one doesn't have a birth certificate (if the birth was before 1837, or the individual is too distant a twig to justify the cost), I would like to print the baptism date instead (while noting it as such).

If anyone knows a way to do this with Legacy, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Cheers -

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,

OK - I've had a look at your ideas - yes - they work but that then led me to the fact that you can also do what you want to do with the baptisms as well!!! I spent a bit of time fiddling with it and if you go to the Search (am going to do this as I write to make sure I get it right!) - then Find, look for Individual, Where to Look - RIN (I assume you use the RIN feature) then Greater Than - 1. Then Create List, Print, whatever you want under the Options section - under Row 1 under Customise select Born Chr and Birth Place then choose CSV file - which of course goes to an Excel spreadsheet.

You then have to fiddle with the sheet of course (in the preview mode only mine came up with 195 pages but some of those were individuals with no surnames so in the spreadsheet they can be deleted.)

It's just about the same as you said but instead of going straight to Print from the Search list you create the list first, which gives you the ability to use CSV instead of having to make out a PDF and then copying that into a document or spreadsheet.

I think that covers what you were looking for - it's helped me enormously - thank you. I admit you cant just ask for the county as I would have liked but some fiddling on the spreadsheet will change that to what I would like!

Many thanks for the ideas - hope this might help.

Cheers, Marion

Comment

Hi Tim,

Not clear on what you wanted to do ...

(a) just report on those that do not have a birth date but do have a baptism date? Search where birth date = (spaces) and baptism date not equal (spaces), then print the search list.

or (b) in any report if there is not a birth date use the baptism date? On some reports it does this automatically. Just tried descendant narrative .. make sure christening date and place is checked on include options; on the one person I have that meets your criteria it printed baptism date, did not mention birth date.

Was either of these what you meant? Hope this helps.

Lynda

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
                    Hi Tim,

Not clear on what you wanted to do ...

(a) just report on those that do not have a birth date but do have a baptism date? Search where birth date = (spaces) and baptism date not equal (spaces), then print the search list.

or (b) in any report if there is not a birth date use the baptism date? On some reports it does this automatically. Just tried descendant narrative .. make sure christening date and place is checked on include options; on the one person I have that meets your criteria it printed baptism date, did not mention birth date.

Was either of these what you meant? Hope this helps.

Lynda
                    Thanks, Lynda - b) describes what I had in mind (with a similar ability to substitute burial dates for missing death dates). If I understand you correctly, it sounds as if this option is provided (or defaulted to) for some reports, then. Perhaps I'll send a suggestion in to Legacy to add this capability to other types of reports/lists.

Tim

Comment

Marion,

I didn't know that about putting it in a spreadsheet so many thanks for that!

I've been wondering for a while but never got round to checking if you could

Comment

Working...
                      X