• Is it difficult to add more memory?

I am getting a sign saying low on memory

I have Belarc Advisor which says

Processor says 128 Kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory catch

Memory Modules
    480 Megabytes installed memory
    Slot "A0" has 512 MB

So can I put more memory in the other slots?

Go to Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com and use their "picker" to find you make and model of computer and it will tell you what is available. They also have instructions on there on how to actually fit it.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

No its easy to do, as long as you get the same type of memory that you already have in, if you don't you make cause a conflict. If you take the case of your computer, make sure it is pluged in but NOT switched on as this will earth the system for you. You should see the slot where your memory card sits beside this there is usually an empty slot, this is where you can fit your new memory card. When you do fit it grab it by the sides do not touch the chips on the card hold the card over the top of the slot so that it sits stright and push firmly in one move into the slot, you shuld here it click into place and in some cases the little plastic arms that holds the card fimrly in place will snap shut. Then is is a case of putting the cover back on your unit and away you go. You cuold always take out your current memory card and take it to your local computer shop to make sure they match it up for you.
      Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
      https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
      searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

Danger It is very dangerous to advise anyone to work on any electrical appliance that is plugged in but not switched on.

Not all plug sockets have a switch to switch them on and off as a result mains voltage electricity is powering the appliance even though the appliance itself is switched off.

Remember if the people being advised were expert in repair procedures they would not have to ask for advice. Therefore the only safe advice is to disconnect the appliance from the mains before opening the case.

It is better to damage a component than to lose ones life, never take risks with mains power it will kill.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Or you could try going to Control Panel . Click Systems, then Advanced Which should bring Performance box up, click Advanced
          and Then Virtual Memory you should be able to increase your memory from there add 50 or 100 up to you? click ok and that should stop the low memory reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
            Danger It is very dangerous to advise anyone to work on any electrical appliance that is plugged in but not switched on.

Not all plug sockets have a switch to switch them on and off as a result mains voltage electricity is powering the appliance even though the appliance itself is switched off.

Remember if the people being advised were expert in repair procedures they would not have to ask for advice. Therefore the only safe advice is to disconnect the appliance from the mains before opening the case.

It is better to damage a component than to lose ones life, never take risks with mains power it will kill.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Valuable advice Guy..... if we were not talking about a PC...

The only component in a modern PC that is subject to mains voltage and current is the power supply, which is in its own case inside the PC, effectively shielding the user from these dangerous voltages...

My advice would be that if you are in any doubt over any procedure regarding the innards of a PC, you should pay a qualified technician to perform the work for you..
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
              Valuable advice Guy..... if we were not talking about a PC...

The only component in a modern PC that is subject to mains voltage and current is the power supply, which is in its own case inside the PC, effectively shielding the user from these dangerous voltages...

My advice would be that if you are in any doubt over any procedure regarding the innards of a PC, you should pay a qualified technician to perform the work for you..
              In the hands of an experienced repairer I would agree but -
              I have worked on PCs where the power supply enters the case through a female plug with bare internal connections. There is then a fly lead to the transformer.
              Yes they were old models but many older family historian use hand-me-down equipment.
              There is also the possibility of wrongly wired plugs which may also create dangers when touching the bare chassis, as would perished insulation.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
              X