The elusive John and James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The elusive John and James

Please can anyone advise me which direction to turn.

1851 census (Living with Owen and Fanny O'Donnell)
    William Hines visitor age 35 born Ireland
    Mary Hines wife and longer age 26 born Ireland
    Mary Daughter age 8
    Bridget age 7 born Ireland
    John son age 5 born Ireland

1861 census
    William Hinds age 46
    Mary Hinds age 47
    Bridget age 16
    John age 13
    James age 10 born Northumberland
    William age 7 born Northumberland

1871 census (living with daughter Bridget now named O'Brien)
    Mary age 52 widowed
    Mary age 27 (unmarried)
    William age 17 born Northumberland
    George age 15
    Sarah age 11

Parish records give the name on most occasions as Hynes as does William's birth certificate. However, mother's name is given as McDonnell, and on other occasions as O'Donnell. I have found workhouse records giving Longford as William's place of origin and Owen O'Donnell's as Roscommon. Apart from Bridget Hynes born Roscommon in 1845 I can find nothing more on place of origin. But it is John and James - the appear to have vanished tried census records, death etc. but can come up with nothing. Please can anyone help.

You don't say where they are living or what the father's occupation is, but if they were on the north east coast, they could very well have become seamen or even emigrated.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

They were living in Alnwick more known for being an agricultural area. I can find nothing for emigration. The persistant changing of the spelling of the names and inconsistency with ages makes it more difficult to track them down.

Comment

Do you know where James was born, Fifi?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The 1871 census has a John Hinds age 26 born Ireland who is a lodger with a Richardson family in Withington, Lancashire, occupation Police Sergeant. He's unmarried, though. He is married in 1881 so his marriage cert might help to figure out if he is the right person, but then I see there are one or two more possibles for John in 1881.
          Last edited by KiteRunner; 01-12-08, 18:15.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by fifi View Post
            1851 census (Living with Owen and Fanny O'Donnell)
            William Hines visitor age 35 born Ireland
            Mary Hines wife and longer age 26 born Ireland
            Mary Daughter age 8
            Bridget age 7 born Ireland
            John son age 5 born Ireland

Not sure where you got this information from? Looking at the census image, Mary senior is "Wife to Lodger" age 32, Bridget is age 6 and John is age 3, born "Northumberland, Embleton". For once it doesn't seem to be an ancestry mistranscription as they are showing the correct ages!
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 01-12-08, 23:21.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by fifi View Post
              They were living in Alnwick more known for being an agricultural area. I can find nothing for emigration. The persistant changing of the spelling of the names and inconsistency with ages makes it more difficult to track them down.
              Isn't Alnwick where Grace Darling lived?

Anyone born in Ireland has already made an interesting journey to get to Northumberland. The trouble with emigration records is that most start later than your period and only exist for certain countries. Merchant seamen could be travelling all over the place: London, Russia etc etc.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Been off line but thanks everyone for the suggestions. James was born in Alnwick, Northumberland. John was born probably Ireland. With regard to the census and William being a visitor it looks as if this was an error as all the childrens birth dates match the later dates. Thanks again everyone and will try the suggestions.

PS Grace Darling was from Bamborough
                Last edited by fifi; 04-12-08, 18:11.

Comment

There is a "Male Hinds" birth registered Jun quarter 1848 in Alnwick district and I can't see a matching death registration, so it could be that they registered John's birth before he was given a first name.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

All excited now certainly worth looking into as the name was unusual in the area. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X