Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone do a 1901 census look up please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone do a 1901 census look up please?

I would like a 1901 census lookup for the following if possible.I am trying to find out if they had any children.

Edward Watkin Griffiths
    wife Mary Jane Griffiths.
    Married in 1893 in Chorlton Lancashire.

Also if it is not being greedy, I would like to know if Edward had any siblings, so if possible would like an 1881 or 1891 lookup for him.

Many Thanks

Brenda

Do you have the year and place of birth for Edward and Mary.
    Elaine

Comment

I only know that Edward was born in 1859 and Mary was born in 1868. I would guess that they were born in Chorlton Lancashire.They were both buried in Manchester so looks as though they stayed in Lancashire.

Hope that helps

Brenda

Comment

There are quite a few Edward and Mary's to choose from! (I wouldn't like to rely on the age gap when looking at the census records!)

Do you have the marriage cert? I was wondering if we could have the father's details. Also Edward's occupation. Was he a bachelor?

Comment

Now I'm wondering....
          There's this birth:

Name: Mabel Lloyd Griffiths
          Year of Registration: 1894
          Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
          District: Chorlton
          County: Lancashire
          Volume: 8c
          Page: 824a

and this coud be the 1901 household:

RG13; Piece: 3687; Folio: 148; Page: 38

Edward Griffiths head 36 occ packer b Milford Montgomeryshire
          Mary Griffiths wife 33 b Wrexham Denbighshire
          Mabel Griffiths dau 7 b Gorton Lancs
          Edward Frost boarder

So, the age is wrong for Edward (where did you get his age though?)

I can't do anything more now, as I have to go out.

Comment

Hi MMM

This is a bit of a mystery.

I think the Mabel Lloyd Griffiths you found is the daughter of Edward and Mary because Mary's maiden name was Lloyd, but as you say, there does seem to be a discrepency in Edwards age.I have the burial details direct from Southern Cemetery in Manchester, so presume they will be correct.Wonder if the the census is mis transcribed??

Brenda

Comment

The census isn't mistranscribed as that was the detail from the actual page but the info might not be correct. On the other hand, in the case of the census it would be Edward himself giving his age, whereas at his death/burial it would be someone else!!

Have you looked at the death registrations to see if the age at death tallies with the age at burial!

If not, what were the burial dates?
              Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 01-12-08, 20:14.

Comment

Do you have the marriage cert?

Comment

I'm thinking that the Milford on the 1901 census may well be a spelling error for Meifod in Montgomeryshire. There are several Edward Griffiths born there within the date span for your chap, so it would be impossible to sort out which is the right one without the marriage certificate (It might still be difficult with the cert!!)

Unfortunately there is no birth registration for an Edward Watkin Griffiths. If there was it might be easier to sort out the right family!

Comment

There is this possible....

Working from the 1901 census age there is an Edward Griffiths born in Meifod in about 1865 on the 1871 census. His parents are Edward and Catherine. They are in their mid 30's and their eldest child is 10.

There's this marriage, which could be them:

Marriages Jun 1860
                    ELLIS Peter Llanfyllin 11b 522
                    Griffiths Thomas Llanfyllin 11b 522 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                    ROBERTS Jane Llanfyllin 11b 522
                    Watkin Catherine Llanfyllin 11b 522 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

However, the above could be completely wrong. You need the marriage cert to confirm!

Comment

I do not have a death certificate for Edward. I got the details direct from the cemetery as there was no headstone. they sent me the detail sheet of the burials in that grave. so I have the names, ages and dates, but I do not know whether the date is the date of death or date of burial. I would think it was date of death.

Would it be posiible to gain any information from an earlier census for Edward. I do not have any access to the census except 1881 and I cannot find him on that.

I do feel sure that s the correct child..Mabel LLoyd Griffiths.

Thanks

Brenda

Comment

but I do not know whether the date is the date of death or date of burial. I would think it was date of death.
                        So, what's the date??!

There are loads of Edward's born in the same place/date so, without the marriage cert it would be impossible to be 100% certain you were looking at the right one.

Comment

Date on Detail Sheet is 13th April 1935 aged 76 years.

I have listed the rest in an earlier post.

I have just been looking at the 1881 census for Montgomeryshire, Wales, I am assuming that the entry you found with the child Mabel lloyd Griffiths is correct and there is an Edward Griffiths born 1965, so that would fit, but that would mean that the date on the cemetery details are wrong.

Perhaps someone could see if they can find Edward Griffiths in the 1891 census, assuming he is still in Wales.

Brenda

Comment

I do not have a death certificate for Edward. I got the details direct from the cemetery as there was no headstone. they sent me the detail sheet of the burials in that grave. so I have the names, ages and dates, but I do not know whether the date is the date of death or date of burial. I would think it was date of death.

Would it be posiible to gain any information from an earlier census for Edward. I do not have any access to the census except 1881 and I cannot find him on that.

I do feel sure that s the correct child..Mabel LLoyd Griffiths.

Thanks

Brenda

Comment

If this is the entry, the death reg says he was 71! (the bottom entry)

death.jpg

There are three Edward Griffiths born in Meifod around 1865. These are from the 1871 census:

Edward 1867 son of Elizabeth (widow)

Edward 1865 son of Edward and Elizabeth

Edward 1864 son of Thomas and Catherine <<<< this one could be Catherine Watkin.

Comment

I am sure that the entry you found in the 1901 census is the right one, the first one. Edward remarried in 1924 and could have lied about his age, because assuming that the first one is correct that would have made him 5 years younger than his second wife. That is the only explanation I can think of!!

Brenda

Comment

The death reg entry says 71 though!

Comment

I had not read your last post when I sent my last one.

That is definitely solved, the cemetery records are wrong, There is a fourth person in the grave, his second wife Bertha. I did not mention her before because she was not relative to my query...but the entry for Bertha is immediately below the entry for Edward and his age at death is 76(we now know should have been 71)...Berthas age at death is also down as 76, so this could easily have been a typing error for Edward. Also the entry above Edward is his first wife Mary Jane age at death 56, so all the sixes!!

I think that this is solved at last, and it looks as though they just had the one child, which was my original query.

Interesting if the mothers name was Watkin, must have a look for that!!

Many Thanks

Brenda

Comment

I wonder if this is Mabel getting married?

Marriages Dec 1915

Griffiths Mabel L Sumner Chorlton 8c 1640 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                      Harrison Stanley B Lund Chorlton 8c 1640
                                      Lund Gladys M Harrison Chorlton 8c 1640
                                      Sumner Thomas P Griffiths Chorlton 8c 1640 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I bet it is...you are marvellous..how do you do it????

I now have to add all this info to the family tree.

Thanks again

Brenda

It does help when the maiden names of mothers are used in offsprings names!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X