Now i really am confused bemused and in a mess....Update 14 Dec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now i really am confused bemused and in a mess....Update 14 Dec

I have received a marriage cert I sent for this morning and it has really upset the cart totally.

From a contact who I am trying to establish where we link.

"Gosh this gets sooo involved. Ok let me just say that William Francis born Feb 27 1871 - his parents were William Henry born 1838 and Josephine Hannah Gadsby born 1846. This is DEFINITE got from an old family Bible. We do know that William Henry's father was also William but we have no more detail about him or who he married. Both William Henry and Josephine Gadsby were born in Middlesex.
    William Francis (1871) came to South Africa during the Boer War and married Fredericka Louisa Kruger an Afrikaans speaking lass from S.A."

This morning I have received the marriage cert Of William to Josephine.

William Trezona
    Josephine Hannah Gadsby Jan 23rd 1871 both of full age. William a Steneo or Stereo typer. his father ...John Francis... Miner.

This totally throws the bible entry off course. There are also 3 possible Williams who could be the one above.

Help please what next??????? My brain is fried ......

Ask them how they know William Henry's father was William. They don't actually say they got that item of information from the family bible.

The fact that William didn't use the middle name Henry when he married isn't significant - lots of people didn't bother with their middle names, or added extra ones.

Have you looked for William on the 1841/51/61 censuses with a father John?

Comment

Also ask how they know William Henry was born in Middlesex, as the only likely birth seems to be in Cornwall.

Comment

The 1871 census has William born c1849 in Plymouth.
        Moggie

Comment

his parents were William Henry born 1838
          The 1871 seems to say William was only 22 - So b 1848/49ish. I haven't looked at any other censues yet!

Comment

I haven't looked at any other censues yet!
            Oh, so he had died by 1881.

Comment

I looked for possible deaths for his father, John Francis. The only one that turned up was this:

Deaths Sep 1894
              Trezona John Francis 53 Plymouth 5b 153

As this man isn't old enough to be his dad, maybe he is a brother?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                I looked for possible deaths for his father, John Francis. The only one that turned up was this:

Deaths Sep 1894
                Trezona John Francis 53 Plymouth 5b 153

As this man isn't old enough to be his dad, maybe he is a brother?
                Oh cripes, that's the "blind 13 years" one!!!

*runs screaming from thread*

lol!!

Comment

1861 two possibles.

William b abt 1841 b camborne in Plymouth ord 2c aboard vessels
                  William b abt 1847 b camborne in camborne with Elizabeth mother.

William abt 1841 with John and Elizabeth b camborne
                  William abt 1846 with James and Elizabeth b Camborne
                  William Trezoana b abt 1840 with John and Eliza b Camborne

Comment

Typing while you posted Merry see what I mean???????

Comment

And you missed out 1851:

William Tregenna aged 2 b Plymouth, son of John (fly proprietor) and Mary .

They have a son John aged 11. Could he be the one who was blind later??

HO107; Piece: 1879; Folio: 449; Page: 2

Comment

That's quite strange. That family in Plymouth seem to fit quite well, but all their registrations are in the name of Tregenna. The John b in 1840 is John Pollard Tregenna and the William is William Thomas Tregenna, so maybe just a parallel family?? :(

Comment

If the family bible says he was born in 1838, that complicates things.

Has your contact actually seen this bible? I wonder if they could scan the relevant page for you, so you can check the date.

Comment

Also depends who updated the family bible and when. It could have been done by hearsay many years later.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

missed him off for a look.

Comment

A z and a g, written in copperplate, are almost indistinguishable from each other, as I am sure Perranmaid already knows!

So Trezona easily becomes mistranscribed as Tregen(n)a. Unfortunately, both are valid and common Cornish names!

OC

Comment

I had presumed William died young, between 1871 and 1881 as Josephine is recorded as a widow in 1881. However, where is his death reg????? (I was wondering about the age stated)

Comment

Had a quick look at paper records I think they are a Tregenna family not the Trezona's. None of the birth dates match for Trezona's of the same name.

Got to pop out for a while but I will be back later got to try and solve this somehow...
                                    and think about how to break it to contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      A z and a g, written in copperplate, are almost indistinguishable from each other, as I am sure Perranmaid already knows!

So Trezona easily becomes mistranscribed as Tregen(n)a. Unfortunately, both are valid and common Cornish names!

OC

Sorry, I wasn't very clear....Pollard to Francis is a bit of a jump!

Having said that, John Pollard Tregenna was only born (1840).....he doesn't seem to have married or died, so maybe............................................. .

Comment

I see that the youngest child of Josephine and William was born in Hull in 1879.

In The Hull Packet and East Riding Times (Hull, England), Friday, August 11, 1876 there's an article about a theft of paper from a printing company called the Eastern Morning News (probably stolen by someone called James Poskett). William Trezona is mentioned in the report.

Knowing he was alive in 1876 hasn't helped with his death one bit! lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X