Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the Collins family?

Howdy!

I'm a bit stuck and have a feeling I might have to get a marriage cert to get any further but before I do, I thought I'd ask you super folk here.

I'm looking for the Collins family on any of the Census records

Maria Frances Collins married Thomas Foley Jones in 1890 in St Giles (1b 987)

Thomas and Maria are on the 1891 census living in Holborn
    (Class: RG12; Piece: 218; Folio 112; Page 7; GSU roll: 6095328.)

Maria Jones born c1871 in Bermondsey, London

They on the 1901 living in Bermondsey
    (Class: RG13; Piece: 391; Folio: 6; Page: 3.)

Maria F Jones born c1873 in Bloomsbury, London

Visiting them is Thomas W Collins born c1880 in Not known, London and is a Barge Lighterman

I assume Thomas W is a brother of Maria but might be a Cousin or something.

Can anyone shed some light? I've been looking for a while with not much luck.

Cheers
    Hail Spode!

There is a possible birth registration - Maria Fanny Collins Dec 1873 St Saviour. That would be more like Bermondsey than Bloomsbury, I would think.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I can't see her baptism on FamilySearch and there are just too many possible Marias and Thomases on the earlier censuses but I can't see any who are brother and sister. I would say your best bet is to get Maria's marriage certificate
      KiteRunner

Comment

Yeah, thanks for looking. That's the conclusion I came to. Perhaps after Christmas...
        Hail Spode!

Comment

ther's a thomas william collins born jun 1879, st saviour. and another for march 1880. but people tended to say they were born in year 'whatever',
          when they were really born the year before.

always look at the year before estimated birth years, is what im trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            ther's a thomas william collins born jun 1879, st saviour. and another for march 1880. but people tended to say they were born in year 'whatever',
            when they were really born the year before.

always look at the year before estimated birth years, is what im trying to say.
            Kyle, if you're talking about census entries, then the UK censuses didn't ask people what year they were born in, just their age at last birthday. It's just that a lot of websites (such as ancestry) calculate the estimated year of birth from the age given, and make a hash of it!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Hi guybrush,

I'm sure that Collinses were as common as dust in London, but if you should ever find an Edward Collins in your tree who married a Hannah Mantan at St. Martin in the Fields in 1796, please let me know - we may be related.

Sorry that I can't help with the censuses - my 3xg-gf, James Collins (b. 1798), left London and settled in Budbrooke, Warks, where he married in 1822 (and died sometime in the 1870's). I haven't traced his siblings (William and Sarah) beyond their baptisms (1803 - 1807), so I'm not sure if they were still in London by 1841 and thereafter.

Good luck -

Tim
              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I always do my searches +/-1 year at least. I've got a great great grandfather that got younger by 13 years between 1891 and 1901
                Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post

Visiting them is Thomas W Collins born c1880 in Not known, London and is a Barge Lighterman

I assume Thomas W is a brother of Maria but might be a Cousin or something.

Can anyone shed some light? I've been looking for a while with not much luck.

Cheers
                  If you're up in The City sometime it might be worth visiting the Guildhall Library, where they keep records of the Watermen. If you look on the Docklands site, there's quite a bit of info, because that was the principal project of the (tragically and recently-)late James Legon, founder of that site.

The reason that could be worthwhile is that the records for watermen have lots of useful details about them and their roots.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-12-08, 21:44.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks I think I may do have to do that in the new year. One reason I'm looking into the Collinses (apart from extending my tree) is according to family legend an Alderman Lucas is one of my descendants on the Jones side.

Now, the only alderman I can find of the name Lucas is Matthias Prime Lucas, Lighterman and Vintner and also Lord Mayor of London in 1827. Now this is either a tantalising coincidence or there's a connection to the Collins family.

MPL is on the 1841 census but he's 80 living with his wife in Kent and I cant trace his family down through the years from that. There's stuff on google about his career and charity work but nothing about his family. :(

Perhaps I need to get off the computer and into the real world to get some answers.
                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                      Thanks I think I may do have to do that in the new year. One reason I'm looking into the Collinses (apart from extending my tree) is according to family legend an Alderman Lucas is one of my descendants on the Jones side.

Now, the only alderman I can find of the name Lucas is Matthias Prime Lucas, Lighterman and Vintner and also Lord Mayor of London in 1827. Now this is either a tantalising coincidence or there's a connection to the Collins family.

MPL is on the 1841 census but he's 80 living with his wife in Kent and I cant trace his family down through the years from that. There's stuff on google about his career and charity work but nothing about his family. :(

Perhaps I need to get off the computer and into the real world to get some answers.
                      Hi guybrush, I don't know if you are still using this forum or found all the answers to your questions as you posted this 4 years ago but Matthias was my 4 x Great Grandfather and if I can help you in anyway I would be happy to!

Comment

Lucy,
                        I cant really say when Guybrush was last on the board but you can click on his username and send a personal message to see if he is still active as most personal messages alert the person by e mail that they have a mesage, so it may just get you further information

Welcome to the board and hope we can be of further help to you

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna, I'll do that! I am very excited to be here!

Comment

Dear Guybrush - did you solve your Collins query posted 30 11 08? I have just found the family website and can answer your question, Thomas William Collins being my ggfather. Barry Collins

Comment

Hi Lucy - just seen your note about Matthias P Lucas - a ggguncle of mine...Barry

Comment

Hi Barry and welcome to FTF

As Edna mentioned in her post #12, the people concerned may not see your message and the best way to contact them is to send them a Private Message by clicking on their username and then click on 'Send Private Message'. If they have their settings to receive e-mail notification of PM's and if their e-mail address is still the same, they will receive notification of your message.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X