What does this mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this mean?

While searching for Ann Purkis, I came across the following in the 1871 Census:

- Ancestry.co.uk

Third line down - John H. Pearce "Months?? son of above"
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Just that the enumerator has written 8 in the age column, with "mo" above, and put "months" at the side just to make sure. And both children belonged to mum at the top of the page.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John, thanks - why didn't I spot that! :o

I must admit I have never seen the word "months" written in the occupation column before!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've seen "bastard" in the occupation column!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

...and I've seen "acts as wife" in the occupation column, for the female of a couple who did not marry until 37 years after the birth of their last child!

OC

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Penelope

In an old register I saw

"baptism of blah blah, posthumous son of X and his wife Y"

In the margin alongside: OR SO SHE SAYS.

This was written so large and black, he nearly went through the paper and you could see it on the next page!!!

OC

Comment

Working...
              X