Death of an actress but which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of an actress but which one?

Good old Gale, how I love it but it does throw up conundrums.
    A report: Death of Alice Brewerton in 1875 aged 24, in Bradford, which makes dob c1851. She was an actress at the Theater Royal
    Search on ancestry, no Alice .
    Search for all Brewerton deaths around that time and come up with Eliza.
    Put Eliza into gale and another link comes up.
    Eliza, actress etc. buried at Scholemoor cem.
    Have searched for Eliza and the only one I can find is born in Bethnal Green and is a box maker on the 1871.
    I know this family and just don't see it as her.
    Have googled Eliza to no avail.
    Any thoughts on how to trace her.
    Off to search for the BG one on the various later censuses having failed yesterday.
    Many thanks.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Phonetically, - and possibly in challenging script - Eliza and Alice aren't all that different.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I cant find Eliza BG on the other censuses. Have found her mother on the '81 and '91, so who knows.
      Maybe a box maker from Bethnal Green turned into an actress in Bradford.

I see what you mean Christine. Same amount of letters etc.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

try searching Gale under the name "Miss Brewerton". A lot of the time playbills and reviews won't use the actor/actresses first name.
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
          try searching Gale under the name "Miss Brewerton". A lot of the time playbills and reviews won't use the actor/actresses first name.
          Good thinking, Zoe!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Off to search.
            Searching for:

Comment

Lots of Miss Brewertons giving to charity or playing tennis!!
              No actresses unfortunately.
              Searching for:

Comment

Could she have been a Mrs?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI

On your behalf I have contacted the archives at our local Bradford newspaper to see if anything made it to the newspaper within the time frame - but dont hold your breath on that one.

I have also contacted someone who lives a short distance away from the cemetery where Eliza was said to be buried just incase there is anything else to be gleaned from it if there was a headstone at all.
                  WendyP

Comment

Wendy!!
                    How very kind of you.
                    Many thanks.
                    Hi Kite,
                    Have done a search under mrs looking for someone else.
                    No Eliza.
                    Thanks for the thought.
                    Searching for:

Comment

What I want on the grave stone is: Daughter of Samuel who abandoned his family and moved to Newcastle and mother Emma who lived with her married daughter for the rest of her life.
                      I do not suppose it will give that info. lol.
                      Searching for:

Comment

HI Jeanie

I've had a reply from my contactwho lives near the cemetery

I looked under the year 1875 and found an Eliza Brewerton (not Alice) who died on the 6th Jan and was buried on the 8th. She was 24 and a professional dancer. She lived and died at 4 Hallfield Place. She is buried in section 5 no.1182. Could this the person you are looking for?

This info was gleaned from the Burial Records at the Bradford Library she will endeavour to get to the library but it may be after christmas.
                        WendyP

Comment

Hi Wendy,
                          Do please thank your friend for all her efforts and also thanks to you.
                          I will make a note of the address and try some searching though I'm not on ancestry at the mo.
                          We leave England on the 7th Jan for 11 weeks and my access to the comp will be limited.
                          So if you do get back to me I'm not being rude if I do not answer for a bit!!
                          Many thanks again
                          Jeanie
                          Searching for:

Comment

The residents of 4 Hallfield Place, Bradford in 1871 are:

William Bottomley head, m 43 out of business b Yorks Northowram
                            Rachel Bottomley wife m 41 b Yorks Northowram
                            Alice Bottomley dau unm 18 b Yorks Northowram

Is Alice your Alice/Eliza?? She's a bit too young, but not much......

The surname must be right as this is their name on the Historic Directory site too. On the prev census William (spelled Bottomly this time) is living in Northowram with Rachel and Alice and his occ is Worsted Weaver Overlooker.

Comment

Had you noticed that an Alice Brewerton from Bradford belonged to the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company? It's not the same one, but it's a bit of a coincidence.

Comment

Many thanks Merry and Mary.
                                I wonder if Eliza was a lodger or was Eliza a stage name for Alice.
                                Do you have a date for Alice, Mary? I have an Alice 1885 Bradford.
                                Would love your source re the D'Oyly Carte.
                                Searching for:

Comment

Have just googled Alice and come up with the info and a photo, so many thanks Mary.
                                  It's very strange but I googled last time and came up with nothing.
                                  Searching for:

Comment

I'm thinking it's likely Alice Bottomley isn't your actress after all. There's a marriage for an Alice Bottomley to someone called Greenwood Townend in Q1 1874 in Bradford. Greenwood and his wife are on the 1881 census. She is 28 (Alice Bottomley was 18 on the prev census) and the 1881 birthplace is Queensbury. That's about 2 miles (max) from Northowram where Alice aged 18 was said to have been born in 1871.

Presumably Alice/Eliza Brewerton was a lodger or moved in after the Bottomleys moved out.

Comment

Thanks Merry.
                                      Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                                      X