Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Registry Offices identified by 576, 587, 615, 662?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Registry Offices identified by 576, 587, 615, 662?

I am going over to Ayrshire for a few days next week and want to obtain some BMD certificates for after 1916. I have the SP references.

I assume the first three figures identify the Registry Office (and the type of register) which originally issued them.

The main identifiers are:-
    576/01 ?
    587/01 Ayr births ?
    615/00 Ardrossan births ?
    662/00 Ardrossan deaths

Hugo

ooh that's Scotland. No idea! If you put "Scotland" in your title you might get a quicker response.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

According to Scotland's People, the district is the one whose name is shown in the index:

Are the GROS codes on ScotlandsPeople the same as the references in New Register House?
      Yes, the codes in the column "GROS Data" provide additional reference points for locating the records at New Register House and can aid the General Register staff if you need help with a particular record. The numbers refer to:

- Registration District: equivalent to the Registration District Name shown in the index register (followed by a "/")
      - Registration District Suffix: additional index term for locating the relevant register (followed by a space)
      - Registration District Entry: the index to the actual entry in the register itself

(taken from Scotland's People FAQ section).

Do the index entries you have found give the district name as well as the code?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Are these identifiers also used in England / Wales / NI? I thought they were unique to Scotland. Must admit I made the assumption without thinking about it.

Now I am annoyed with myself as I always try to be infromative in my titles.

Ah well, c'est la vie, Jimmy.

Hugo

Comment

Hugo, don't worry - I don't think England, Wales or N Ireland use numbers like that for their register offices. Do the index entries that you got the numbers from show the names of the register offices as well as the numbers?
          KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner,

I had not checked SP FAQ but the explanation fits in with what I had assumed, more or less.

What I am searching for is where the offices are for the following:-
            576/01 ?
            587/01 Ayr births ?

Is there a list which gives the physical location of the office which holds a specific register?

Hugo

Comment

Kite Runner,

Our postings are crossing.

When I made a note of the reference numbers I thought they were sufficient in themselves for precise identification. Showing my lack of experience?

Hugo

Comment

I thought this information was all in SP in a big table somewhere in the help section.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John.

Will go and check. I am not very bright today.

Hugo

Comment

The Ayrshire wiki links are now out of date but the majority of Scottish Register offices are part of the DIGROS project.

With the introduction of the Digital Imaging of the Genealogical Records of Scotland's People (DIGROS) genealogical records are now available online at a local level

For example the South Ayrshire register office can provide the following service;
                    South Ayrshire Council has access to DIGROS at each of its Registration Offices. In addition to holding the actual Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1855 to the present day for their own Districts, Registration Offices now have access to the scanned registers for the whole of Scotland.

Access to DIGROS is under the direct supervision of a member of the registration staff but images can be viewed on screen almost instantaneously, the available Registers include all the Statutory Registers (1855 – present day), Indexes to Parish Registers for Births and Marriages (1553 – 1854) and the Census Returns for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901

Ayrshire is covered by three councils, South Syrshire info can be found at
                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 30-11-08, 12:39.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

*wonders why the Scots GRO are so GOOD at providing on line images, and the English GRO are so bafflingly hopeless*

OC

Comment

So did it give you the name of the register office for 576/01 on the index entry? If you didn't note it down then SP should let you view the same page again for free if you click on "Previous Searches".
                        KiteRunner

Comment

This looks like the help page you want, Hugo:
                          General Register Office for Scotland - Help Researching Scottish Ancestors - List of Parishes and Registration Districts
                          KiteRunner

Comment

The list of RD numbers can be found on a PDF document at the following link;

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks everyone. Have to go out now for lunch date.

Will read and digest when I return from the slow food resturant.

Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                *wonders why the Scots GRO are so GOOD at providing on line images, and the English GRO are so bafflingly hopeless*

OC
                                I think that it's partly due to the number of records being more manageable but having said that the fact that the digitisation of the records was combined with the technology to allow the majority of reg offices to provide the information was a worthwhile move. It lessens the dependancy on Edinburgh and some of the local office staff really take an interest even when looking beyond the boundary of their own districts, in fact there has been a recent push to promote combined genealogy and tourism "holidays" throughout Scotland, quite a few of the local councils have been advertising for staff to promote these family research holidays and to highlight them via the FHS, local events and internet sites. They are fairly well paid jobs too but the biggest drawback is that applicants have to have a degree in history and IT which has limited the oppurtunities for local people to an extent. If you live in a small rural town then the chances are you work in a small business or farm with little call for a history degree!!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen

I do realise that there is a huge difference in the sheer volume of records but the principle is the same, and WAS originally covered by the now deceased DOVE project.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the Scots have been quick to recognise and use a wonderful money-making opportunity, whilst the English government wouldn't recognise a money-making opportunity if it kicked them in the face.

OC

Comment

I know what you mean OC, what is suprising though is that in Scotland the investment compared to the return must be quite substantial, considering some of the parishes consistently had populations of less than 250 throughout the 1841-1891 period then it is quite a substantial investment in time and resources, it's only the main towns where the project stands to really recoup the costs of the DIGROS project but the family history holiday idea could benefit many of the smaller communities, especially the local b&b, restuarant and pub trades.

It's just a shame that the local archives for the borders is in the middle of nowhere at Hawick, a bit too far from the traditional tourist and coastal areas and out in the sticks for anyone taking a break in Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I still take my hat of to the authorities for trying though, the rural areas are always difficult to make accessable for a large number of people and that is something they will always struggle with.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo View Post
                                      KiteRunner,

I had not checked SP FAQ but the explanation fits in with what I had assumed, more or less.

What I am searching for is where the offices are for the following:-
                                      576/01 ?
                                      587/01 Ayr births ?

Is there a list which gives the physical location of the office which holds a specific register?

Hugo
                                      As i mentioned earlier the records are available at any office that subscribes to the DIGROS project, the local council registrars pages often also list the holdings of the original documents at each particular office.

The South and North Ayrshire wiki links are up to date but the East Ayrshire pages seem to be down at the moment.

Another useful site you might want to nose around for Ardrossan info is Home Page

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Greetings all,

I am back after my slow lunch which included some nice Spanish wine (it is difficult to find bad Spanish wine nowadays).

Have just searched on 'Ayrshire Registry Offices' and found this useful site which gives the physical location and contact details. Just what I wanted.

General Register Office for Scotland - GROSLocate

I will now read and digest the previous posts.

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                                        X