Asking help from those down under.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking help from those down under.

I am trying to locate the death certificate for my OH's grandfather, John Henniker Wilson born Nov 16, 1843 in Hounslow, England
    John married Isabelle and had three children, Isabelle died in 1907.
    On May 6, 1909 John married Ida Bors in St. Giles, London.
    Ida was Australian. At some point John and Ida returned to Australia.
    They had a daughter Anne Louise Henniker Wilson in 1910 (I don't know if she was born in Australia or England)
    In 1913 the family was living in Cronulla when their son was born.
    OH and I travelled to Australia in 2001. While in Sydney we tried to locate John's death certificate and had no luck. OH believes that John did not return to England. The records we have found show that John died 4 August, 1919 but WHERE.

Thanks for any assistance
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

I have had a quick look at the NSW BDMs and found two entries for a John H Wilson death in 1919.

Reg Number: 14625/1919 John H Wilson, father John, mother Bridget, district Wallsend

Reg Number: 16002/1919 John H Wilson, father John, district Chatswood.

There are a number of Ida Wilson's with NSW death records, but without knowing her parents names I am not sure if any would be your Ida.

I use the following website when looking for Australian BDMs. It has links to each State and details what records are available on-line.

Australian Family Tree Connections - BDMs

I went from this website to the NSW "search online indexes" to find the Wilson deaths I mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Sarah

Comment

Do you know when in 1910 Anne L H Wilson was born? I saw this birth in the UK:

Births Dec 1910
      WILSON Annie L H Lymington 2b 587

The Lymington records are now at Ringwood Office. They have always been helpful to me!

The Register Office,
      Public Offices,
      65 Christchurch Road,
      Ringwood,
      BH24 1DH.
      Tel: 01425 470150. Fax: 01425 471732.
      E-mail: new.forest.registrars@hants.gov.uk

Maybe they subsequently sailed from Southampton, which is very close by?

Comment

The librarian at Lymington Library was also very helpful about getting a copy of a baptism record for me from early C19th. (After looking it out and sending it off, she remarked that she now understood the attraction of such research!).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know that this is not what you asked for, but it may be of interest.
          It seems like that may have had a daughter or Grandaughter who designed underwear and invented things........

Welcome - Family Tree Forum

I hope that the link works.

Comment

The NAA site doesn't allow you to link direct, for some reason.

This is one of Ida Henniker Wilson's patents:

Improvements in tea-pots - Patent Review GB19320024158 19320830

For details of the others search for her name here:

Collection - National Archives of Australia

Comment

The same site has a naval service record for BARGRAVE HERBERT HENNIKER-WILSON born in 1913.

Brief details of his WWII service record can be found here:

WW2 Nominal Roll

but the next of kin isn't named.

Comment

No idea who this is, but he must be connected to the family:

FSA Register

Comment

Are you sure Ida was Australian? The name sounds more German or Scandinavian, and I can't find her on the incoming passenger lists.

Here's the marriage, which gives her middle name. There's no death or remarriage listed in NSW for an Ida Ottelia.

Marriages Jun 1909
                  BORS Ida Ottelia St Giles 1b 1055
                  HELD Hilda May St.Giles 1b 1055
                  KENEALY Edward Wednesbury St. Giles 1b 1055

Marriages Jun 1909
                  WILSON John Henniker St. Giles 1b 1053
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-11-08, 14:49.

Comment

Using Ancestry, the name Henniker Wilson appears in Australian electoral rolls: that may be a way of spotting a likely place.

The name also appears on the CWGC site (or it shows on Ancestry under soldiers who died).

There's a birth in California. Three in New York passenger lists.

An interesting entry in the Oxford Alumni database; a linked type of entry in the Suffolk PO Directory of 1875.

Christine

PS - Ancestry is playing up: I get a whole list of possibles (with and without .uk access), go on to look at one, and then come back to find that (allegedly)
                    Your Search for Henniker Wilson returned no matches
                    You searched for Henniker Wilson, including matches outside the UK and Ireland
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've already searched the Australian electoral rolls for Henniker Wilson, Ida Ottelia and Ann* Louis* Henniker with no surname, and didn't find anything. There are lots of Ida Wilsons.

Comment

I get this single hit on Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936:

Bargrave Herbert Henniker Wilson
                        New South Wales
                        Warringah
                        I can't tell you the year or city because my membership is only .uk

Christine

Comment

Got him now - I'm sure I searched for him before, and he didn't come up.

The only NSW electoral rolls online are for 1930 and 1936, and he only appears in 1936, because he wouldn't have been 21 in 1930. He's living at Toledo, Stuart Street, Warringah district, Manly subdistrict, Sydney, and his occupation is clerk.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-11-08, 16:08.

Comment

Also living at Toledo, Stuart Street, is Annie Louise Wilson, commercial artist.

Ida Wilson is living at Toledo Flats, Stuart Street (presumably the same address), occupation "home duties" (which means housewife).

There's also a Louisa Anne Wilson, home duties, at 9 Stuart Street; don't know if she's connected to the others.

The electoral rolls only show people aged 21 or over, and you can see all the people with the same surname living at an address, but it dosesn't pick up people with a different surname at that address.
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-11-08, 17:03.

Comment

Oh my heavens what a response while I was sleeping soundly in my bed.
                              I will answer all the questions and answers one at a time. Thank you everyone
                              Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Reg Number: 14625/1919 John H Wilson, father John, mother Bridget, district Wallsend

Reg Number: 16002/1919 John H Wilson, father John, district Chatswood.

Haven't figured out how to highlight parts of other messages so this might be wrong format.

Yes these are the two John Wilsons we found in 1919. John's parents are Henry Wilson and Mary Hutchins so these two are not the right one.
                                Donelda

Comment

To Merry Monty

Anne Louise was born 12 September 1910. We did not know where. Thank you for this. I will order the birth certificate to confirm the correct parents.
                                  Donelda

Comment

Possible death for Annie:

Surname / Given Names / Notice Type / Date / Type / Age / Other Details / Publication / Published

WILSON / Annie Louise / Death notice / 09 MAR 2001 / Death / 90 / late of Mosman/ Sydney Morning Herald / 13 MAR 2001

Ryerson Index

If you follow the instructions on the site, you can apply for a copy of the death notice.

Comment

Nelde, do you know when Ida was born? If you have the marriage cert, it should give her age. I'm just looking for her death; the NSW index only goes up to 1977, but there's a death for an Ida Wilson aged 100 of Bexley in 1989 in the Ryerson index, and I wondering if that's her.

Can't see a marriage for Bargrave Henniker Wilson.

Comment

Have you looked on here:

Manly Families: Rookwood Cemetery

I haven't time to look now - about to leave for Church (Advent Carol Service this evening) - and I know I'd slip into the "just one more" trap! ;)

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X