Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merry found the marriage but where on the census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry found the marriage but where on the census?

Merry found the marriage of Mary Woodburn Riddel to Rowland Lishman in 1905 in Scotland, but there's no sign of Mary in any census after 1881.

Mary's parents were Charles Robert Riddel (b. abt. 1854 in Inverness) and Jessie McGill (b. abt. 1854 in Glasgow). They married at Jessie's family home 26 Cumberland Street Gorbals, Glasgow in October 1879. Mary was born in Pollokshields, Glasgow in August 1880. I have both of these register entries from ScotlandsPeople.

In 1881 the family are with the McGill in-laws at 26 Cumberland Street, where Mary is shown as 8 months old.

In 1891 the family is at 10 Kenmore Street, Tradeston, Glasgow but Mary is not with them. Her siblings were born all over the place: Christina 1882 Blantyre; Jessie 1884 Dunoon; Charlotte 1888 Paisley.

I've used the Ancestry transcriptions for these and other censuses. They have been reasonably accurate, with only minor spelling quirks.

I can't find any of the family in 1901, and neither so far can super-sleuth Merry.

Any mistranscription sleuths out there please?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

I was just wondering if they were at the same address as the 1891 (or if not, who was living there), but I can't find Kenmore St in Glasgow in 1901. :(

Comment

I found Oxford Street, where some of the family lived for over 30 years, still there in about 1900.

I wonder if anyone has copies of the old OS maps of Glasgow which have been reprinted.

Comment

The only Kenmore Street in modern Glasgow, according to Google maps, is off Shettleston Road, which was out in the country in the late 19th. century.

Comment

Just in case anyone fancies a go, this is the family in 1891:

10 Kenmore Street, Tradeston, Glasgow

C R Riddel, Head, 36, b. Inverness, manager in thread works (first names are Charles Robert)
          Jessie Riddel, Wife, 36, b. Glasgow
          Christina Riddel, dau., 9, b. Blantyre
          Jessie Riddel, dau., 7, b. Dunoon
          Charlotte Riddel, dau., 3, b. Paisley

Mary Woodburn Riddel was born in 1880 in Pollokshields, Glasgow. By 1901 she could be in England. She was married in 1905.

Tradeston is the area on the south bank of of the Clyde bordering on Gorbals.

Comment

FOUND in 1891:

With granny McGill and family at 36 Cumberland Street, aged 10, mistranscribed as Redaell. If I hadn't been tidying up the McGills I would never have found her.

But 1901 is still a mystery.

Comment

UJ, can you determine from SP if "Charlotte Riddel, dau., 3, b. Paisley" was likey to still be alive in 1901? I was thinking she might be the easiest one to find.

Comment

I have now found the following:

Charles Robert Riddel died 1943 in Pollok area of Glasgow aged 89. I can't find a death at all for Jessie Riddel.

There is no Charlotte Riddel death at all 1890-2006. (except a Mary Charlotte in 1960 in Aberdeenshire).

There is no Jessie Riddel in the1901 census. There are several Jessie Riddells, but the locations are unlikely.

There are no Charl* Riddel entries of the right ages in the 1901 census.
                Last edited by Uncle John; 30-11-08, 21:06.

Comment

UJ

Um, have you considered divorce and remarriage? A surprising number of my Scottish relatives were divorced in the early 20th century. I don't know if it was easier/cheaper to get a divorce in Scotland?

OC

Comment

I'm finding it puzzling that the youngsters are all so elusive. All I can think of is a massive mistranscription or a mass emigration. But Mary is definitely "at home" in Glasgow for her wedding in 1905, as are her parents and sisters.

Comment

Sorry, I'll expand my post a bit! My "children" who disappeared, were living with their mother and her new husband, under his surname.

OC

Comment

No way of finding whether Jessie Riddel nee McGill remarried, because SP requires 2 surnames for a marriage search. And she is named as Jessie Riddel m.s. McGill on her daughter's marriage certificate. An overhaul of the SP search engine is long overdue.

Unless of course someone can find a family in 1901 of a Jessie something with daughters Christina, Jessie and Charlotte aged between 13 and 20, and possibly a husband Charles, that would be great.

Comment

Working...
                        X